Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's the deal with iPhone wallet cases and magnets? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's the deal with iPhone wallet cases and magnets?

What's Hot
I'm thinking of buying a wallet style case for an iPhone SE 2022 - this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snakehive-iPhone-SE-2022-2020-Navy/dp/B087D4QVT3/

But I keep reading about how a magnet might ruin the camera stabilisation thingy (see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208747) - is this a real concern? Can you get cases without a magnetic doohickey?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I've been using a Mujjo case & wallet with my 14 Pro for most of the last year and it's excellent. 

I honestly don't know about the camera thing but I've never noticed issues. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The magnet screws around with the gyro which is tied into everything from image stabilisation to the compass function, the stronger the magnetic the more it will effect the gyro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How does that work with magnetic wireless chargers?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    How does that work with magnetic wireless chargers?

It doesn't it will mess about with the gyro while it's on a wireless charger.  Which isn't an issue as how often are you or anybody else going to take pictures or use the compass function while your phone is on a wireless charger?

I play with gyros quite a lot, I put them in all the RCs that I've built and the ones that I'm currently building - plus the drones the girlfriend uses all have them, it's makes cornering and drifting so much easier, especially at high speed.  What I sometimes do when racing mates, so not at official RC race meets, is to slip a neodymium magnet either into the front left or right side of the RC car - as far away from the center line as possible, to throw off the gyro so that it pulls the steering towards the magnet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter