Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). First World patch cable problems... - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

First World patch cable problems...

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 875
So here's my dilemma...I have a G System and a small board with a couple of drive pedals and a wah, volume pedal and downtune pedal. Initially I set the small board up on the right and that worked with the patch cables I have - the drive pedals are in the loops of the G System, so I need 2 cables for each pedal running to the loop send/return on the G System. However, I'm kind of left footed so I prefer to have my wah etc on the left. I moved it over the other day but now my patch cables are too short. To make it work, I would need to order new cable kits (I have been using the Harley Benton solder-free ones so it's not ruinously expensive...£40 or so). Plus then the signal would be running through metres of extra cable...not ideal.

So - do I do that? Or try and get used to having my pedals on the right? I actually struggle quite a bit with this...I kind of lose balance and have had a few comedy moments where I nearly fell over while trying to wah. Lots of fun for the rest of the band.  =)

There's a third way - take the rack 'brain' of the G System out of the pedal and rack mount it - then just use short patch cables for the loops. The issue there is one of my drive pedals is a dual one, so it's quite handy to have it by my feet so I can switch drives.

Like I say - First World problem really.  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Just get longer cables and turn your treble up very slightly if you need.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Extra cables, even 20-30 mtrs extra will not matter IF the pedals are buffered. Only the cable from the guitar has much of an effect on HF loss. If the guitar goes into a buffered pedal as the first thing then subsequent cables will have little effect.

Of course, much depends upon the exact arrangement  of the pedal board.
    Ball park figure: if a pedal has an output resistance of 1k Ohm and the cables add 10,000 puff (10nF) then the response will be 3dB down at about 16kHz. About an octave above the upper response of most guitar speakers and 10nF is a 'king lot of cable!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pm’d