Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Laney Ironheart Amps - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Laney Ironheart Amps

What's Hot
Laney has announced two solid-state mini Ironheart amp heads this morning. They sound great to me. In fact I've just ordered one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Solid state?  Wow!  I just watched the PMT demo and I just assumed it was a valves 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They are definitely solid state. They're related to the recently released pedal power-amp in the same series. Which I actually bought but found lacking in a few ways. It sounds great, but has some functionality issues - particularly with the loop.

But the Dualtop solves all those for me so I ordered. I'll post impressions tomorrow. 

I should have added in my original post how inexpensive these are. The Leadtop £169 is and the Dualtop is £259.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They are definitely solid state. They're related to the recently released pedal power-amp in the same series. Which I actually bought but found lacking in a few ways. It sounds great, but has some functionality issues - particularly with the loop.

But the Dualtop solves all those for me so I ordered. I'll post impressions tomorrow. 

I should have added in my original post how inexpensive these are. The Leadtop £169 is and the Dualtop is £259.
    What issues did you have with the pedal? And what did you run it through?

Having watched all three videos I think PMT got the best recorded sound.  My finger was hovering over the 'buy' button after that, but it didn't sound that great in TheGuitarGeek's video
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Funny you should say that, because I liked his video.

The issue I had with the pedal was when I was trying to use a particular looper that couldn't go quiet enough.

There's no loop return volume, or master volume after the loop. While these amps are likely the same - the one watt mode should solve that for home use. Also having reverb on the amp is really handy too. 

I think the main thing was although I loved the sound I actually found the pedal format less convenient than a small head.

I've got a Mini VH4 and that sounds amazing. And it'd be my main home amp if it had a clean channel I could also run pedals into. So hopefully this new Laney should be that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    They are definitely solid state. They're related to the recently released pedal power-amp in the same series. Which I actually bought but found lacking in a few ways. It sounds great, but has some functionality issues - particularly with the loop.

GG have now updated their descriptions to solid state.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited September 2023
    I have the pedal version of these and it’s really good. I like some of the tones better than my actual Ironheart 60 head

I actually got the pedal version extremely close to a Mezzabarba skill head that I had. Poor man’s Mezza! 
  • First impressions. It's really damn good. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Nice. I really like Laney stuff 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    They sounded OK clean but unbearable on high gain.
    But then I say that about most amps.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    It does kind of sound like an inexpensive solid state amp to me. 

• So after a few days of using my new Dualtop I'm very impressed.

I already have a Mini VH4 and I love the sound of that amp, but it's a one trick pony. The Dualtop has a high gain channel that's very similar to the VH4 Mini, but offers me a lot more including a 1w mode, boost, DI out, and onboard reverb.

The amp would be easily loud enough to gig, but the 1W mode means it works brilliant as a home amp. The various bright/dark modes make it easy to tailor to your guitars.

Negatives? Gain and boost too high can get a little fizzy at the top end, and unsurprisingly also a bit noisy. But a noise gate has solved any noise issues, and there's no need for full gain and full boost. You can get fantastic high gain chug without such extreme settings.

All round I'm very impressed, especially for £250. Puts plenty of more expensive amps to shame.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    How are you getting on with the amp a couple of weeks in?  Phil McKnight posted a very positive review of it earlier today.  Are you running it through the paired cab?
  • Still loving it. I'm running it through a 2x12 v30 cab.

Have my pedalboard set up in 4CM so I can enjoy the amp's drives and dirt pedals too. I bought a dual latching footswitch for the boost and channel change.

The 1W mode is great for home use. And it'll still go bloody loud in that setting. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Congrats to GG for producing a video of a product that manages to completely remove any feelings of "I want this" from me. 

I'm really struggling to hear anything 'unique' in the sound of these amps... nice and cheap, I'll give them that. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.