Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Palmer Cab Merger and connecting 2 cabs in series - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Palmer Cab Merger and connecting 2 cabs in series

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 208
edited September 2023 in Amps
Hi all, here's a doozy for ya...

Having a problem using the Palmer Cab Merger if anyone has any experience?  I'm using two cabs in series but only getting sound from one of the cabs.

I'm using a Victory Copper VC35 head (awesome btw) and two equally awesome 1x12 zilla dinkies.  Each cab is 8 ohms.   So I'm having to be inventive to connect 2 8 ohm cabs up to the head. The head has 1 16ohm output, and 2 8ohm outputs, there's no 4 ohm output.  I've picked up a Palmer Cab Merger which Victory recomends as a solution for this problem. 

So I've connected the two 8ohm cabs in series via the Cab Merger to the 16 ohm socket on the Victory Copper head.  But.. I'm only gettting sound from one of the speakers.

I know both cabs work fine, I've tested them individually.  I know all the cables work, again I've tested them individually.   I've tried two Palmer Cab mergers and the same problem with both.  I also know all the speaker outputs on the victory head work fine.

Any ideas?

More info: I've also tested this same setup with my Victory Duchess Deluxe head and get the same problem.   But if I connect to that head in Parallel (4 ohms) with the cab merger it works.    Unfortunately the Copper head doesn't have a 4 ohm connection so can't connect in parallel.

PS - Victorys customer service is brilliant, they are trying to help also.  Palmer's customer service has been dreadful, they offered zero insight and suggested I contact Andertons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The only thing I can think of is that the two plugs have metal casings and are touching each other, shorting out one of the cabs. If it's not that...

Odd though it sounds, I think the Palmers must be faulty - it's unlikely both are, but not impossible if they're from the same batch and there's a PCB etching fault or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 208
    It’s funny mention that @ICBM ;. Because my speaker cable jacks are huge. All the speaker cable jacks are all touching each other on the Palmer device. Wonder if that’s it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    AndyJP said:
    It’s funny mention that @ICBM ;. Because my speaker cable jacks are huge. All the speaker cable jacks are all touching each other on the Palmer device. Wonder if that’s it?
    Put a piece of paper between the plugs and see if that fixes it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Good ideas!
    Yes that’s the problem! You are the man!
    Playing a gig in Glasgow tomorrow. I’ll get a new speaker lead ready for that.