Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mortgages - would you pay it all off if you could? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mortgages - would you pay it all off if you could?

What's Hot
For those who have a mortgage - if you had the means to pay off your mortgage now, would there be any reason NOT to?  

My wife and I are in a position where, at a stretch, we could pay our mortgage off completely.  I'm no expert on mortgages but it seems like a no-brainer.  Only thing that concerns me is I think our credit scores will drop and if we want to move house one day and borrow again, that might affect how much we can borrow?  Our current mortgage rate is also still pre-interest rise but due to expire in a couple of years so the annual interest we pay isn't so bad yet, but it's still interest paid.

Are there any other downsides to repaying early that I'm not seeing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    What rate are you on? 

Chances are if you're on a pre-2022 rate you can get a fixed deposit investment for a year or 2 at a much higher rate and make some money. e.g. Lloyds currently gives a 12m fixed rate of 5.5% for anything over 10k

Assuming a 100k balance on 2% mortgage you'd pay 2k in interest* and could receive 5.5k back, so you're up 3.5k for almost no effort. Rates will probably still be high in a year's time when that finishes, so you could do it again. Obviously that money is tied up for the fixed period, but if it goes into your mortgage it's tied up as well. 

Obviously what that doesn't give you is the peace of mind of being debt-free, which is a powerful thing. I won't try and tell which is more important to you

* not exactly as balance would decrease over the year, but my point is roughly right.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes, even if for no other reason than peace of mind and not having to think about it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    What Sticky said Re investing vs paying off.

On credit score, I've twice paid off mortgages, now mortgage free, and my Experian is 999.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Also don't have a mortgage and have a good credit rating.
    Paying it off was one of the best days of my life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Think long term, especially given the last decade or so of financial/economic turmoil and uncertainty.

Noone really knows what will happen in the (near) future but being debt-free is liberating. Our challenges are nothing compared to those of our children and their children ... being able to help them best we can in their times of need is an important consideration IMHO.

We were fortunate to be able to pay off our mortgage early and, with hindsight,  it was the smartest thing we've done because our quality of life overall improved significantly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Oops. Wrong thread! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I would pay it off in a heartbeat, if I had the means to do so. 

Peace of mind, and it’s my biggest outgoing per month. 

Which means more money for coke and hookers. YMMV. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pay it off.

Then do not go mad with the spare monthly income, you do not need a nightly Curry delivery *. Instead, put that into savings until you decide what to do next.

* Unless you really love Curry like I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    In less than a heartbeat!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    @stickyfiddle has it right for me - if you can make the money earn more than it costs to borrow, then invest is the way to go. However, today, when rates are so high (vs previous) then it makes sense to pay off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paid mortgage off 2 weeks before my 40th Birthday, that was over 11 years ago now.

BEST THING EVER.... 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What rate are you on? 

Chances are if you're on a pre-2022 rate you can get a fixed deposit investment for a year or 2 at a much higher rate and make some money. e.g. Lloyds currently gives a 12m fixed rate of 5.5% for anything over 10k

Assuming a 100k balance on 2% mortgage you'd pay 2k in interest* and could receive 5.5k back, so you're up 3.5k for almost no effort. Rates will probably still be high in a year's time when that finishes, so you could do it again. Obviously that money is tied up for the fixed period, but if it goes into your mortgage it's tied up as well. 

Obviously what that doesn't give you is the peace of mind of being debt-free, which is a powerful thing. I won't try and tell which is more important to you

* not exactly as balance would decrease over the year, but my point is roughly right.
    Yes this is also what my wife just said to me just now.  At the moment our mortgage is still just 1.13% (because we locked in a while back) and we've invested some money in ISAs and savings accounts just this year when savings rates are good.  I guess it's the idea of handing over a big amount of money in one go that makes me a bit nervous.    

But makes me feel reassured that those of you who've done it have said it's the best thing you've ever done, hasn't affected your credit scores adversely, and that I've not overlooked anything major.  Sounds a bit stupid because one of my long term goals has always been to be mortgage free before retirement age and here it is now and I'm hesitating =)    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Plus, of course, you now own the asset outright.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paid it off at 43, best day ever.

The place I bought 4 years ago has just been valued 36% above what I paid. 

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pay it off.  Peace of mind.   Use the cash to start investing so aswell as earning % on investing you're saving % on mortgage so double impact of Yr money. 

Save up a bit,  turn buy a 2nd flat rent it out use the surplus to fund Yr car. Means free car plus keep your asset investment plus value if your asset grows.  Win win. 
  • Im three years off being mortgage-free.  If I came into some money tomorrow it would be the first thing I would do. No hesitation, no regret.  Get that out of the way once and for ever.

Having the security of the roof over our heads will be a massive weight off my mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    I’d invest as much salary sacrificed income into pension up to 60k a year, then dump the next 40k into two high interest ISAs, then find other high interest accounts like SF said, for any remainder. And wait till your low interest rate expires before paying any excess of the house off (and watch out for fees). At least, that's the approach I took, this is not advice :)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    It all depends on the interest paying on the mortgage vs how much interest i get on interest rate and how much of the mortgage left.

But without knowing any of the variables, yes, i would pay it all off.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    edited September 2023
    A few people have already touched on this, but it all depends on what mortgage rate you're on and what your expected returns would be if you invested the money you'd be paying it off with. Hard to say without knowing your personal situation, but I wouldn't pay mine off atm. 
  • I want to get rid of our mortgage, it's not huge as a proportion of our household earnings but it's big enough that it annoys me. Our only hope is likely to be downsizing, which we plan to do in the next year or two. Then I intend to put money into pension instead.

If I suddenly came into enough money to clear the current mortgage I'd do just that. It's just peace of mind that I'd like, and with the spare money I'd have I'd manage my debts and investments just fine as I already do.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    If I suddenly came into enough money to clear the current mortgage I'd do just that. It's just peace of mind that I'd like, and with the spare money I'd have I'd manage my debts and investments just fine as I already do.
    A few people have said this, but surely if you had the money invested to clear your mortgage and it was earning you more money than paying your mortgage off would doesn't that give you MORE peace of mind? 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2002
    I bought a couple of rental properties with savings and the profit from those covers my home mortgage and council tax with change left over. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Yep, no brainer.  I paid mine off about 10 years ago in my late 30s.  Life changing.
  • To echo what others have said, check what returns you could get on fixed rate savings accounts vs what you’d pay in interest, but also factor in any early repayment charges if you paid it off before the end of your fixed term. 

Mrs and I paid ours off last year and as others have said, best decision we ever made, the peace of mind knowing that as long as we pay the council tax and the energy bills no one can kick us out is worth it’s weight in gold. 
  • Ive been sorting out my mortgage this week and I need to find £400 a month more from March. Fantastic. Id love to pay it off.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm fixed on 1.48% for another two years. Overpaying by nearly 100% atm
  • nero1701 said:
    Paid it off at 43, best day ever.

The place I bought 4 years ago has just been valued 36% above what I paid. 

On the less exciting side of that coin - 43 wasn't that far from when mine started :'(
  • mo6020 said:
    A few people have said this, but surely if you had the money invested to clear your mortgage and it was earning you more money than paying your mortgage off would doesn't that give you MORE peace of mind? 
    Not exactly.
    Because mortgage rates can change, and they certainly have this year. Now, the current fluctuations are mirrored to a degree in savings rates changing too so your point still stands true. But it's entirely possible that mortgage rates could go up due to factors relating only to the property market.

Of course, I could just sit on the money when that makes more sense, and clear the mortgage when that makes more sense. That's not how I would operate. I'm not really an investor type, I want a simple life where I have minimal debt.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    My gut instinct would obviously be to pay it off ASAP, but I remember in the back of my mind that many years ago my parents were advised to not close it but keep just a small amount not payed off. I have no clue what that related to and it may just have been the UK economical situation at the time, but I would have to at least look into that.
    Leaving a teeny balance could be a few things.

Early repayment penalty
    Credit rating
    Ability to easily borrow against the equity

There are probably others.