Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar not returning to pitch… - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar not returning to pitch…

What's Hot
One of my guitars has an issue with g string returning to pitch if using the trem (downwards). It always come back up sharp. No pinging from the nut.

Tonight I popped the string out of the nut slot and left it sitting on top of the nut, tuned it to pitch, dived the trem and it still came up sharp. There’s no chance it was the nut binding given the string wasn’t in a slot. What else could be causing this? Any suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    To confirm it is not the nut then tune up as normal . Then gently push down the G string behind the nut ( so between the nut and tuner) - If it goes sharp still then almost certainly still the nut - If all okay then looks like the trem itself 

Is it a vintage style trem or modern 2 post fulcrum trem
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks.

The trem is a Mann made 6 screw type, about 4 or 5 years old.

I don’t seem to have any sticking at the nut if I bend the string behind the nut. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If there’s no string tree, it can be only one of four things…

1. Sticking at the nut.
    2. Movement at the bridge saddle.
    3. Backlash in the machinehead.
    4. Faulty string. (Very unlikely with a plain one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks. No string tree, but a mild back angle and height adjustable posts. 

I can confirm it’s unlikely to be 4…it’s has numerous string sets and still does this. 

What kind of movement is possible at the trem saddle end? The Mann made
    saddles are pretty well wedged in there.

The machine heads are Gotoh HAPs and I really don’t like them, if I could change them without making mods to the headstock I probably would. Maybe just need to try another single one in the g string slot. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    The machine heads are Gotoh HAPs and I really don’t like them
    Gotoh HAP 'heads are height-adjustable locking types. They come in various formats - modern, sealed gear types with a threaded front fastening and Kluson Safety replicas with a push-in bushing.

Q1 - Is the string post perpendicular to the headstock face? (No leaning towards the nut.) Hex nut fastenings should be fully nipped up. Push-in bushings should not be lifting out of their holes.

Q2 - Is the height adjustment mechanism locked into position?

Q3 - How many turns of string do you have around the string posts?

Q4 - Do you use coated strings? Some locking mechanisms struggle to grip coatings properly.

Mann made 6 screw type
    Q5 - Are the pivot screws smooth shafted at the mushroom head end like a Fender or notched like PRS?

If the screws are notched, it is critical that the notches be perfectly aligned. Otherwise, return to pitch is unlikely.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

If the screws are notched, it is critical that the notches be perfectly aligned. Otherwise, return to pitch is unlikely.
    That’s true, but if the whole bridge is sticking then all the strings would be out of tune (and flat, after a down-bend). So that isn’t it…

(My 2002 PRS was like that initially because the bridge was slightly curved!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    Hi. You don't say if the strings are old or you have just restrung your guitar.
      Although you tried the G sting on the top of the nut the issue may be with the other strings !
      I would check the three wound strings as the winds on the string can hitch up in the nut also if they are the strings that need 
      to be stretched in the most this is because the winds once again go around the core of the string.
      The other thing that is worth doing is if you can lay your hands on some of those small brushes that are used for eyelashes 
       just brush out the slots in the nut because sweat from you hands will travel along the strings and settle in the nut so the 
       nut gets clogged up so keeping the nut clean is important. I know there are products out there made to lubricate the nut
       but my own experience is it just collect dust and debris so I don't use anything like that.
       It's also worth checking the trem springs are seated properly as well.
       The other thing to check is as it's a Mann made trem just check the six screws are level.
        I hope some of this will help. Good luck.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    What kind of movement is possible at the trem saddle end? The Mann made
    saddles are pretty well wedged in there.
    Bridge saddles should be adjusted so that their tops are parallel to the baseplate. If the saddles are tilted at all, they can squirm about whenever string tension reduces. (i.e. During a down bend.) 

Similarly, even if the saddles are set correctly, each saddle's height adjustment grub screws should be in good contact with the baseplate. 

The string may have chewed a groove into the saddle surface.

If the stringing holes through the baseplate have non-countersunk edges, a string can snag there.

If the string anchoring holes on the underside of the sustain block are worn, this can affect tuning stability.
    Be seeing you.
  • Need to dig into this in more detail clearly :) 

Everything is tight and square but the question about the height adjustment being locked into place is worth exploring I think - the answer is I don’t know, one of the things I dislike about the HAPs is that the manual they came with is completely useless and I could never figure out how the height adjustment works. Having said that. I’ve not changed them since I got the guitar so…time to YouTube I guess.

Strings are new ish and non-coated but it happens with new strings too. It’s only ever the G string that gets stuck, everything else comes back to pitch more or less exactly. 

• Generally it is always the G string that sticks. All that early Van Halen Stuff like Eruption is a standard 6 screw strat trem and he kept it more or less in tune by grabbing the G string after a dive and pulling it so it wasn't sharp when it returned. 

For gentle more Shadows type of trem though all the strings should return more or less right but the G string does seem to be the one string more sensitive to pitch problems 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

That’s true, but if the whole bridge is sticking then all the strings would be out of tune (and flat, after a down-bend). So that isn’t it…

(My 2002 PRS was like that initially because the bridge was slightly curved!)
    Possible that the 'notch' on the G string is worn

Warning - Don't adjust any of the 6 bridge 'notch' screws when at pitch - de-tune significantly first, as this can damage/ware out the fulcrum point at the notch on the screw

never quite sure why, but sometimes with such an issue I can turn the G string (or appropriate string) screw an 1/8 of a turn, either way and solve it - And/or turn it to/fro and return - I find it hard to know if all 6 notches are perfectly aligned, which they need to be
    tFB Trader
    See if this helps you - Just copied from another web site page

Tuning and Setup Hints
    If the guitar is returning sharp after using the tremolo arm, put a little lightweight machine oil under the head of each screw (do not loosen the screws). This will effectively oil the knife-edge of the tremolo. The correct adjustment of the six brass screws, which act as a pivot and anchor the tremolo system, is level with each other so the bridge floats 1/16″ off the body. These 6 screws are factory adjusted and you really should not have to adjust them at all. If it becomes necessary to adjust the 6 notched screws, make sure the guitar is detuned or you will ruin the knife-edge. Adjust the screws incrementally so the notches under the screw heads are fitted with the corresponding hole in the bridge. These holes serve as the knife-edge on which the tremolo unit rocks. Again, this is a very tricky adjustment and could ruin the knife-edge if done improperly.

The bridge saddles should be low in the range of adjustment to keep the action low and leverage of the bridge in good working order. They should be adjusted so that the height of the string at the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string is 2/32″. If the tremolo bridge is not floating 1/16″ off the body, remove the tremolo back plate. Adjust the claw screws about 1/4 turn at a time until the bridge floats perpendicular to and about 1/16th off the body. Tune to pitch and check, re-adjust until the bridge sits properly. When the tremolo is adjusted properly and the guitar is in tune, the tremolo arm will raise the low E string pitch to F#: no more, no less. The intonation may be adjusted by moving the (6) Phillips-head screws facing the tail end of the guitar in and out with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Match the octave (fretted) note of all six strings with their corresponding 12th fret open harmonics by shortening or lengthening the strings with the adjusting screws. Remember to tune and retune until the process is complete.

• I’ve just remembered I said it was a 6 screw bridge but it’s actually a 2-post Mann made. Doh. Anyway will watch the vid and see what’s what…
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I think it would be worthwhile paying very close attention to the chamfered fulcrum stud, especially the one on the treble side, to see if it moves in the anchor bushing embedded in the guitar body when you move the trem arm.  Look carefully to see whether that anchor bushing itself has any movement. Logic would tell you that if it was loose in the body it would also affect the return to pitch of other strings, but the mass of the unwound G string's "core" will always make that string a bit of an odd-ball in its behaviour and it's worth checking this.

I believe I would be concentrating on the G string tuner for this particular problem.
    tFB Trader
    I’ve just remembered I said it was a 6 screw bridge but it’s actually a 2-post Mann made. Doh. Anyway will watch the vid and see what’s what…
    In someways that makes it easier to suss what is happening as technically if the G is going sharp, due to a bridge issue, then the same should happen to the E/B etc - On a 6 screw bridge assembly you might get individual variation but it shouldn't happen like this on a 2 point

If you have eliminated the nut (and most issues are nut related) then you need to look at the string and its contact with the saddle, even its exit point from the trem block - Is the string snagging on the saddle - Might be a burr/rough bit on the saddle or you do hear of issues with the ball end in the 'base' of the trem block 

Try a drop of oil on the 2 point fulcrum notch/contact - Try and clean any debris/rough contact on the saddle itself, where the string makes contact - Try a drop off oil on this contact - Even try an appropriate drill size bit where the ball end makes contact in the trem block - Do it gently, but can the string sit 'smarter' in the block

The nut is generally the chief suspect, but if you looked/tried my initial comment earlier, then that should imply the nut is not the issue
  • Photographs would help. From the machinehead post to the bridge saddle.
    Be seeing you.
  • Your G steering is possibly snagging at the top  of the baseplate where it makes a 45º bend forwards to the saddle. 

If you tune up your guitar and then bend the G string a good three semitones do you find it it comes back flat?

guitars4you said:

Possible that the 'notch' on the G string is worn
    That would still make the whole bridge stick - it moves as a single unit, so then all the strings would still be out of tune. If the problem is at the bridge end it must be the string moving at either the saddle, the contact point through the baseplate, or the ball end, or the whole saddle moving.

never quite sure why, but sometimes with such an issue I can turn the G string (or appropriate string) screw an 1/8 of a turn, either way and solve it - And/or turn it to/fro and return - I find it hard to know if all 6 notches are perfectly aligned, which they need to be
    With the PRS I had, the whole bridge was subtly 'dished' - a casting shrinkage flaw I think - so the notches being in a straight line then made the bridge bind. I solved it by carefully turning each of the four middle screws until I could feel it come slightly loose against the plate, so they were then in a matching curve to the bridge. Although that technically shouldn't work, over the small angle the bridge moves through it does.

Dish1.jpg 47K
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Had something similar some years back. Admittedly a hardtail guitar but if you bent the G string it wouldn’t quite return to pitch. Turned out that there was the smallest (no, smaller than that) burr / piece of plastic debris in the nut. I’d already tried lubricating with pencil lead, etc. In the end I bought a wound G and pulled it through the nut a couple of times and a tiny (no, smaller than that) piece of plastic pinged out. It was ok after that.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Had something similar some years back. Admittedly a hardtail guitar but if you bent the G string it wouldn’t quite return to pitch. Turned out that there was the smallest (no, smaller than that) burr / piece of plastic debris in the nut. I’d already tried lubricating with pencil lead, etc. In the end I bought a wound G and pulled it through the nut a couple of times and a tiny (no, smaller than that) piece of plastic pinged out. It was ok after that.
    A wound G is handy if you don't have nut files and not worth buying a set if only to be used once/twice - As you say it doesn't take much debris to cause major issues
  • Haven’t forgotten this and appreciate all the comments. Not yet had time and light good enough for pix.

Last nights experiments: tuned to pitch, strings stretched, bend string behind the nut laterally: stays in tune. Bend behind the nut away from headstock face: stays in tune. Drop tuning with the trem: comes back sharp. Pull up on bar afterwards: stays sharp. Pull string away from pickups/ comes back to pitch. 

Everything is tight and locked.

What I have noticed is that sometimes when the string is sharp turning the tuning peg makes no noticeable difference for a short period of rotation then starts to change the pitch. Might be psychosomatic. 

For gentle wobbling and general vibrato use it’s actually pretty stable, it’s just bigger down bends where it seems to fail. 
  • What I have noticed is that sometimes when the string is sharp turning the tuning peg makes no noticeable difference for a short period of rotation then starts to change the pitch. Might be psychosomatic. 
    Probably just machine head hysteresis...always tune up to pitch.

I've got a Suhr with a 2-post Gotoh 510 where this kind of thing was happening...I just developed a nervous tick to tug on a string when it needed to be brought back in-line ;) A few months ago, I got a set of Wilkinson WLS130 saddles...newfangled locking type...they've really improved things.
  •  Moe_Zambeek said:
    What I have noticed is that, sometimes, when the string is sharp, turning the tuning peg makes no noticeable difference for a short period of rotation then starts to change the pitch. 

Q3 - How many turns of string do you have around the string posts?
    Still unanswered. Could be significant.

To date, no mention has been made of what guitar design has this issue. Considerations such as tilt-back headstock, droopy headstock and 3x3 versus 6-in-line could all make a difference.

The Jackson/Charvel tilted and droopy headstock is especially troublesome when no double locking string clamp is involved. Nut slots need to be angled *just so* and their edges tumbled on the machinehead side. Otherwise, strings snag.

Does the machinehead lock each string with a ball bearing or with a metal pin? Sometimes, a defect on the end of the pin impairs grip.
    Be seeing you.
  • About 3/4s of a wind on the post, maybe less, consistent with what the locking mechanism needs,  and the headstock is slightly back angled with a straight string pull. No string trees as the HAPs are meant to address that. 

I’ll have to check the locking mechanism, I think it’s a pin.
    That sounds like backlash in the machinehead gears to me.

Try doing the opposite of the normally correct practice of tuning up to the note - tune down to it just on that string - and see what happens.

• Tuning down to the note I still get it coming up sharp after significant pitch drops with the bar.

Maybe worth trying a new tuner in that slot to see if that helps…
  • Tuning down to the note I still get it coming up sharp after significant pitch drops with the bar.

Has it always done this? I mean, it is a 'thing' with non-locking trem setups: you dip the bar, the string goes loose, then gets pinched on the saddle upon return (hence the tug on the string to bring it back). That's what the Wilkinson saddles solve (mentioned above).

Has it always done this? I mean, it is a 'thing' with non-locking trem setups: you dip the bar, the string goes loose, then gets pinched on the saddle upon return (hence the tug on the string to bring it back). That's what the Wilkinson saddles solve (mentioned above).
    Actually it’s not at the saddle - but at the top of the baseplate.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That sounds like backlash in the machinehead gears to me.

Try doing the opposite of the normally correct practice of tuning up to the note - tune down to it just on that string - and see what happens.
    And/or change the D tuner to the G, or B to G etc and see if the problem now changes string or indeed goes away 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter