Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 7 new pico pedals released by EHX - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

7 new pico pedals released by EHX

What's Hot
jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 453
Some really cool looking pedals for those conscious of pedalboard space. The price point is a little higher than I’d expected but they’ll probably come down eventually.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• There isn’t enough LOL buttons in the world for those prices! 

The proof will be in the pudding as to whether they sound 2/3 times better than a mooer/nux/tone city competition!!!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Was hoping for a pico Q-tron
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  

Yes, the prices seem optimistic compared to the competition. But when they come up in the January sales I'll be looking at the ReRun (possibly). 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Blimey!
    Since when did EHX start charging boutique prices?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I thought the prices were a bit high, but it's not for your standard TS or Dyna Comp clone - it's their very clever digital stuff. Given it takes half of a HX Effects' DSP power to run a Freeze or Poly Octave, I'd say they are amazingly small. 

Still expensive though, by any measure 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 468
    edited September 2023
    Well, I was really excited when I first saw this thread, but they’re not the EHX pedals I’d like to have titchy versions of, and the price is scary!

so now I’m really disappointed  :s
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I want to second those of us who've mentioned that these are pretty complex (and not cheap) DSP pedals to begin with. But I also want to say:

Down with this sort of thing.

Pedals should be bigger, not smaller. Don't believe the hype! Have fewer. larger pedals instead.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • POG and Freeze are two of my favourite pedals so would be interested to hear these micro machines versions. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    A PSU is included which explains a very slight amount of the price… but yeah, I was raised to believe that mini pedals should be a little cheaper than their full-size counterparts. 

Still interested though, because I can’t help myself…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I sort of feel the same. Batshit prices, mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    I was raised to believe that mini pedals should be a little cheaper than their full-size counterparts. 

I can kind of justify to myself why they don't cost any less than the big versions when the functionality is the same and essentially nothing is different but the size of the box and the knobs (And the pots. And the components...).

It's like selling the same app for iOS and Android. It's the same game on XBox and Playstation. It's saying "here's what it'll cost to get this effect, but don't let the fact that there's only a little space left on your pedalboard stop you buying one. Same shit, different box."

...but I don't think I'd buy that if we were talking about a teeny-weeny Big Muff. That should definitely cost less than a big Big Muff.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    I suppose small things aren't necessarily cheaper than big things. I bought some Tenderstem Broccoli yesterday and it cost more than a big stick of normal broccoli
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I suppose small things aren't necessarily cheaper than big things. I bought some Tenderstem Broccoli yesterday and it cost more than a big stick of normal broccoli
    I have never considered “stick” to be a unit of measurement for broccoli. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited September 2023
    I used to know someone who grew purple sprouting broccoli. Picked and cooked the same day delicious. Otherwise all broccoli is essentially acceptable but basically tasteless filler, like when they have Primal Scream on festival line ups. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Has the fashion for micro pedals not died out yet? I have the regular Canyon and Oceans 11 which are faultless so if you're a micro user you'll be chuffed. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited September 2023
    Whitecat said:
    I was raised to believe that mini pedals should be a little cheaper than their full-size counterparts. 

I can kind of justify to myself why they don't cost any less than the big versions when the functionality is the same and essentially nothing is different but the size of the box and the knobs (And the pots. And the components...).

It's like selling the same app for iOS and Android. It's the same game on XBox and Playstation. It's saying "here's what it'll cost to get this effect, but don't let the fact that there's only a little space left on your pedalboard stop you buying one. Same shit, different box."

...but I don't think I'd buy that if we were talking about a teeny-weeny Big Muff. That should definitely cost less than a big Big Muff.
    A lot of mini pedals omit battery capability - not all because some don't even support them on their bigger versions, but loads do. Also, they just physically use less raw material... so I suppose those are two things that stick out to me. 

There are occasions when they do justify costing more... MXR's Carbon Copy Mini is an example - the mini version actually has more functionality than the standard sized version... so that's fair...

Anyway I do understand that the prices of things are not related to how much they cost to make, so this is just me being grumpy about the prices full stop, really.
  • I like brocoli quite a lot more than I like Primal Scream 

I don't really have an opinion on these new EHXs. It's been a very long time since I had any EHX stuff actually. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I suppose small things aren't necessarily cheaper than big things. I bought some Tenderstem Broccoli yesterday and it cost more than a big stick of normal broccoli
    I wasn't sure what the word was so went with stick, is it a Pico of broccoli? Is that why I've got broccoli on the brain? 
    Or should I say, is that where it stems from, ho ho ho boom boom

Anyway, cool pedals, bit steep but I'm sure they have their place. I'd like to see mashup pedals combining two compatible effects though - a POGFork perhaps

• I'm not a fan of mini pedals, they don't feel great underfoot, they don't save much space due to the jack locations and if they break they are far harder, or impossible to fix.  I had a Phase 95 and a switch stopped working, so that was that.

A decent discrete homebuild or something like a Jam pedal can be repaired easily and indefinitely, so certainly in the case of simple analog circuits I'd never go for a mini pedal.

A fairly moot point here as they are mainly DSP, but I'd generally go nano over pico all things being equal.

Re the POG, I'd go Micro over nano because it sounds better, but would like to try the pico, just to complicate things.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    yay for a (good) octave pedal that will fit with the ethos of my mini pedal board

nay for the price of the thing
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    I suppose small things aren't necessarily cheaper than big things. I bought some Tenderstem Broccoli yesterday and it cost more than a big stick of normal broccoli

Americans use it to  measure butter but then they'll do anything to avoid the metric system.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Primal scream are feckin awesome! 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited September 2023
    All over a Pico Pitchfork for something I want to have the option of but don't have enough space for a regular one.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    Dont' really understand the price complaints (other than we all want things cheaper, and there's nothing there really I want) but most are ~ $150 so ...£120 ish?

MXR, Dunlop, Wampler et al ... all charge more for similar devices. Comparing to Mooer or Landlord feels a little off the mark if they ARE as good as their big brothers. 

Never thought Micros were meant to be "cheaper" just "the same in a smaller box" which, lets be honest, is often quite handy for EHX stuff.