Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss Katana Air EX - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss Katana Air EX

What's Hot
HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
edited September 2023 in Amps
So it would appear a new version of the Boss Katana Air has been released:

https://youtu.be/N9TRlG2BVYg?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/aWtxepE7s40?feature=shared

The main changes appear to be:

- 5" vs 3" speakers
- Larger enclosure
- Solid wood enclosure

It does sound good though, and looks to be well made.  It's listed at £539 which is £120 more than the original Katana Air.  Quite expensive given that price doesn't include the rechargeable power pack, and so by default it's AC or AA batteries.

It'll be interesting to see how it gets on given the internals would appear to be the same.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I bet they regret having it demoed by Russell Brand.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    I bet they regret having it demoed by Russell Brand.
    I lol'd that but to be fair that chap has his own vibe (enthusiastic puppy?) which is fairly charming.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Who is this aimed at? Who needs a louder bedroom amp? Price is quite wallet-numbing too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Who is this aimed at? Who needs a louder bedroom amp? Price is quite wallet-numbing too.

I imagine it sounds better as well as louder.

• DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    That price is outrageous, I prefer the Spark Mini for a true desktop amp sounds fantastic too or even the Spark 40 or the THR, seriously that's just way overpriced. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    I’m thinking that Spark is so far ahead with its app that Boss and Yamaha have a long way to go to catch up. 

I recently sold my THR10II and I’m going to purchase a Spark Mini to replace it simply due to the app. I want to visually select amps and common pedals, and the loop creator and tone cloud (which I know boss also does) are miles ahead of the crappy Yamaha patch system. 

This new Boss product just doesn’t move the needle for me. It’s actually quite unimpressive considering where others have gone on the software. 
  • I think it looks an interesting evolution of the small practise amp. 5 inch speakers and a bass port should make for a much better sound than a lot of the alternatives with 3 inch speakers. 
  • Remember when the first line of Katana amps were super cheap?!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Remember when the first line of Katana amps were super cheap?!!
    The old "suck em in with genuine value, dine out on the goodwill with hideously overpriced follow-ups"

£539 for a praccy amp?  Get tae fuck....
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sounded excellent on the Andertons demo vid.  
  • I mean I do now sort of get it if it ticks all your boxes

It's wireless with everything you need to use it.  It looks very smart and won't stand out as a guitar amp .  It's got a full wooden enclosure which should result in a better sound.  It has all the Katana bells and whistles.  Sure, you are paying the Apple tax.  But if it does everything you need in an attractive package then it's expensive but not too expensive.

It's just a real shame that a rechargeable battery pack isn't included in the price.  I think that would make it a much more attractive option.

For comparison, the Yamaha THR30II with a separate G10 transmitter would be about £550 all-in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dumodal said:
    That price is outrageous, I prefer the Spark Mini for a true desktop amp sounds fantastic too or even the Spark 40 or the THR, seriously that's just way overpriced. 
    I’m a Spark mini convert it’s ace 
  • RobDavies said:
    Sounded excellent on the Andertons demo vid.  
    Thing is though, the Katana head is cheaper, still has a 5 inch speaker for practice, and pair it up with a decent 2x12 and you can play any gig.

The Katana 50 for less than half the price is totally giggable as well, and perfect for small jams etc

This is to have something in the living room small enough the Mrs won't complain too much I guess, but it's soooo expensive for what it is.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You can have
    Katana Air with 3inch speakers
    Dual cube LX with 4inch speakers
    Katana Air EX with 5inch speakers
    Boss have all the bases covered!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDavies said:
    Sounded excellent on the Andertons demo vid.  
    Thing is though, the Katana head is cheaper, still has a 5 inch speaker for practice, and pair it up with a decent 2x12 and you can play any gig.

The Katana 50 for less than half the price is totally giggable as well, and perfect for small jams etc

This is to have something in the living room small enough the Mrs won't complain too much I guess, but it's soooo expensive for what it is.
    Absolutely , my katana 50 and 100 could be dialled in mega quiet ,definitely quieter than a nux mighty lite and probably my THR too .  Positive grid Spark is really great 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited September 2023
    Dumodal said:
    I woudn't mind trying the spark route, purely for the app. Would I be missing out on anything by trying the ultra portable Spark Go instead of the mini?

I'm sorted for a larger practice amp really with my Katana 50 - (got it working again)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited September 2023
    tony99 said:
    Dumodal said:
    I woudn't mind trying the spark route, purely for the app. Would I be missing out on anything by trying the ultra portable Spark Go instead of the mini?

I'm sorted for a larger practice amp really with my Katana 50 - (got it working again)
    I’m not sure on the Go  but a lot of people seem to like it  but the mini isn’t big at all and has a  huge sound for its size  . Wonder if anyone on here has the Go I’m sure I’ve read of happy reviews . 

• DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    Dumodal said:
    That for me it's the best TRUE desktop amp, with the app is just unmatched.

Tried the GO and it's good too a little boxy sound but considering the speaker size sounds great too.
  • Would love to know if it’s actually a wooden ply cab or if it’s MDF or chipboard. They don’t specify so I’m assuming some horrible cheap crap.

I had the original Air and it sounds terrible. I love Katana’s but the 3 inch speakers in such a small plastic enclosure were boxy and tinny. I’d be very tempted by this if it remedies that. 
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    Andertons uploaded a desktop amp comparison video today, which includes this one. It’s worth checking out to see how it compares to the competition.