Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). This is doing my head in - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

This is doing my head in

What's Hot
What If English Were Phonetically Consistent?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    English is not a phonetic language.  Its graphical representation is at word-level and context-level, not letter-level.  You may as well argue why you can't use your hands in football the way you can in rugby....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    If you want to get technical, @Chalky, you usually can and indeed should use your hands in football, certainly this is the case in 5 out of the 6 major codes played around the world.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Tannin said:
    If you want to get technical, @Chalky, you usually can and indeed should use your hands in football, certainly this is the case in 5 out of the 6 major codes played around the world.

Quite right and it would be mighty difficult for most players to tie their own laces without using their hands. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Tannin said:
    What If English Were Phonetically Consistent?

Sean Bean would be having an identity crisis :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Sounds like the English copper off Allo Allo
  • Tannin said:

What colonists did to the purity of association football is their own affair.  ;) And, let's be honest with ourselves - after the first "major" code, the others are a long way behind in terms of participation or world reach, wouldn't you say? 

Anecdote - at my posh school, which awarded "colours" for sporting achievement, I never stopped being angry at the use of the term "Football XV" for rugby union and "Soccer XI" for football. 
  • elstoof said:
    Sounds like the English copper off Allo Allo
    Which, if you think about it, implies a level of genius about Arthur Bostrom's interpretation of the character that nobody really knew was there.
    <space for hire>
  • Oh an American discussing  how to speak English! Didn’t last 20 seconds
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1042
    It's all about the vowels...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    My attention span wasn't long enough for that.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I thought this was interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/336625508801492

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.