Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pedal builders - where do you buy your electronics? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pedal builders - where do you buy your electronics?

What's Hot
Hi all,

I've recently started building a few pedals on Vero board and wondered where you guys are buying your electronic components? I've been using CPC but have to say they have really become pretty poor. I received an order this week, completely missing ten line items even though their delivery note implied they were shipped! So I think it's time to look elsewhere...

Cheers,
Graham 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    edited September 2023
    Rapid are good. Banzai if it’s something unusual/specific you can’t get elsewhere. I did quite a few orders from Small Bear in NY for really niche items, eg matched ge transistors, Univibe LDR’s.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Excellent, they look good, I will try rapid next I think. Many thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Tayda are good too and offer UV enclosure printing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @euan that looks pretty interesting. Have you used their UV printing services at all? Would be interested to see some examples. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I like Bitsbox. They do some pedal kits as well as components .
    https://www.bitsboxuk.com/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I mostly used Rapid, with some parts from RS. I'm not sure I can remember where I bought footswitches. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Rapid have a whole stompbox section now 

https://www.rapidonline.com/audio-components/stomp-boxes

For electronic components I use CPC .. they do mess up occasionally ... especially with small quantity and physically small parts. But if you buy in multiples of at least 10 then it's cheaper and less of an issue. 

I also recycle a lot of components like opamps, transistors, resistors  and caps from scrap electronics. I built a tube screamer clone once out of nothing more than a broken computer speaker and a phone charger. 

For top quality more exotic components keep your eye on Ebay for things like "job lot electronics"     ... some people don't really know what they have. I once brought over 2K's worth of new Neutrik connectors for £38 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thank you all for your suggestions, there are quite a few there I will definitely try!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    As others have said, Bits Box is great. And FuzzDog has a good selection of the basics, and some components are cheaper and better than those at Bits Box, e.g. foot switches. Both send their stuff by 1st class, so in general you'll be getting your things in less than 24h.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Banzai used to be brilliant for knobs. I've still got - at a guess - a hundred or so. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I'd echo the recommendations above - another shout for Tayda for some stuff. I don't tend to use them for ICs and the like but for bulk buying common resistors, pots and switches etc they are pretty good and fairly cheap.  Their Hammond style powder coated enclosures are also perfectly good and well priced.  I have used their UV printing once and it came out well.  The only 'issue' was my own - I had not rounded the corners on my design, so it crept over the edge at the corner. 

IMG_1865.jpeg 155.2K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That looks really nice! Thanks for sharing. :-)