Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Phasers- what's all the jargon? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Phasers- what's all the jargon?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30192
So, as a Foo-Approved™ guitarist, I was wondering- what's all the jargon with Phasers?

What's the difference between Peak, Notch and Linear?
What's the difference between 4,8, 12 stages?

School me....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I have always wondered this too. Anything that isn't a Small Stone or a Phase 90 has left me running scared. 

That said, does one need something more than a Small Stone or Phase 90??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    I have no idea. Just get a Phase 95 and you're set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    The more stages essentially the more filters it creates and so you get a more pronounced and thicker sound.

Perfect example is Phase 45 (2 stage) vs Phase 90 (4 stage)
    If you have a Phase 95 you can try both sounds.

Personally I find phasers with loads of stages get a bit gloopy and unusable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Fender have a Waylon Jennings phaser.

It appears to have been released in the last month.

Not mini sized, range/rate/feedback controls, three selectable stages (2, 4 & 6), top mounted jack's, £119...
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I like the one Billy Corgan used on Sianese Dream, whatever that was
    Fishboy7 said:
    EHX Small Stone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Boss PH-1R

Translation - best simple phaser ever made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    ICBM said:
    Boss PH-1R

Translation - best simple phaser ever made.

I'll raise you the TC Phaser XII. Studio level in a pedal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    edited September 2023
    This Wikipedia article explains what a phaser is and how it works:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaser_(effect)

It explains where the references to peaks and notches come from, and the number of stages. I’ve never heard the term ‘linear’ applied to a phase shifting effect, but there is such a thing as Linear Phase EQ, which seems to be a form of EQ control that ensures that all parts of the signal remain in phase when the EQ is applied.
    Lebarque said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    EHX Small Stone
    I got one due to loving the Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins tones, but have ended up with a Phase 95. Go figure.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Fishboy7 said:

Wasn't that a Mutron Bi-Phase?
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    I couldn't find a working Fender video of this last night, but there is an official video on the G4M link below...

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Waylon-Jennings-Phaser/5T0F?origin=product-ads&msclkid=f44a20c5b11b15326acd45d37596bfe3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA%20Shop%20%7C%20Margin%20FGH%20%7C%20Smart&utm_term=4584482476118480&utm_content=Margin%20FGH

01:44 to 05:08 of the video covers the controls.  The way the Range control works is interesting and there is an explanation of what the "sweet" switch does.

Can't say I will be trying to re-create Waylon's sound, but £109, decent pedal size/form and lots of features not available anywhere else - I have just ordered one.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited October 2023
    Gassage said:
    So, as a Foo-Approved™ guitarist, I was wondering- what's all the jargon with Phasers?

What's the difference between Peak, Notch and Linear?
    What's the difference between 4,8, 12 stages?

School me....
    You forgot about stun, vaporise, and disrupter settings! 

Actually, it's a good question, as I've never been quite sure myself.  I think stages are essentially additional layers that make the sound thicker and more complex.. kind of like looping the underlying 2 stage increasingly multiple times for a girthier sound.  I'm sure that's technically wrong as I think it's about the filters, but it's how my feeble 3 brain cells can understand it!  =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)