Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss RV500 Thoughts? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss RV500 Thoughts?

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
edited September 2023 in FX
In the world of reverbs there's loads of choice, but high-end pedals with presets it often comes down to the Strymon Bluesky. 
I don't see too much mentioned of the Boss RV500. 

What's it like as a pedal? How does it compare to the Bluesky?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I'm guessing not many people have one on their board
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2142
    Following this as I have the RV500 and DD500 on my fourth 'odds-n-sods' board made up of stuff I found lying round not being used

I'm using it for a very basic reverb.  They're very complex, definitely overkill for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839 said:
    Following this as I have the RV500 and DD500 on my fourth 'odds-n-sods' board made up of stuff I found lying round not being used

I'm using it for a very basic reverb.  They're very complex, definitely overkill for me.

I have the DD500 which is great. It can do so much more than I use it for but I've been impressed enough to consider the RV500
  • I have the RV500 on my board. Been there for about 5ish years, which is a miracle for me. 

It's got some amazing reverbs in there, but it needed a bit of time to edit them to remove some of that boss metallic stuff all their reverbs seem to have. Sounds great now. It also has a cool hold feature and some delays In there too. 

Basically great pedal if you give it some time to dial it in how you like.
  • Heartwood said:
    I have the RV500 on my board. Been there for about 5ish years, which is a miracle for me. 

It's got some amazing reverbs in there, but it needed a bit of time to edit them to remove some of that boss metallic stuff all their reverbs seem to have. Sounds great now. It also has a cool hold feature and some delays In there too. 

I have the DD500 and whilst I really like it, it's taken me a while to dial in delays I want. One thing I don't like about it is that you have to use pre-sets. You can't just, on the fly, dial in a delay without overriding an already saved preset. Is the RV500 the same?
  • Heartwood said:
    I have the RV500 on my board. Been there for about 5ish years, which is a miracle for me. 

I have the DD500 and whilst I really like it, it's taken me a while to dial in delays I want. One thing I don't like about it is that you have to use pre-sets. You can't just, on the fly, dial in a delay without overriding an already saved preset. Is the RV500 the same?
    You can dial in different reverbs on the fly, but if you want to save and recall them you would need to save it to a patch slot. It's not like say a blue-sky or rv6 pedal in that way. 

Horses for courses I think. I use it with a load of different reverb types setup and programed in so I can quickly change depending on the song we're doing. If you're more of a live tweaker you might not get along with that way of working though. I use it as set and forget now all the patches are setup.