Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Amplifier required and thoughts would be appreciated - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Amplifier required and thoughts would be appreciated

What's Hot
Hi All,
I just received my new electric mandolin from Gary at Nava Guitars. It has two blade humbuckers. I now need to buy a new amplifier, since I haven’t got one. Currently in the running are the Marshall Mini Jubilee 2525C and the Laney Lionheart (although I have read mixed reviews on that, but only good stuff on the 2525C). I have just found other British amp manufacturers such as Gartone and Emprize - are they worth the extra £££ ? Would much prefer a made in the UK. Tone wise, as long as I can get some reasonable cleans up to 1980s Priest tones, I’ll be a happy bunny. Thanking you most kindly for any opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• If you see the gear wheel on your post I'd recommend you click and move this to "amps" to get more views.

As for the question, that's a cruchy mandoin sound and the mini Jubilee shoud do it. My understanding is that the build quality is decent.

For Marshall style amps Friedman are also popular. More experienced posters will be along hopefully to comment on their experiences 

As for those specific brands. Gartone and Emprize may not do quite as gainy a Marshally amp and from what I've seen specialize in handbuilt versions of classics. Whether it's worth the extra £££ to you is based on comparing their 5e3, bassman, princeton or deluxe etcto a mass produced version and generally they will win out on build quality and tone. Gartone's "5e3" bluesman is very popular on here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have no idea about your amp question but interested to hear about your Mandolin. Gary Nava makes some very nice instruments, I was able to try one of his guitars a few years ago. Hope you enjoy it. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Moved
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roland said:
    Moved
    Thanks
  • I have no idea about your amp question but interested to hear about your Mandolin. Gary Nava makes some very nice instruments, I was able to try one of his guitars a few years ago. Hope you enjoy it. 
    Here we go :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muVJLs3hUc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    You get what you pay for really. I would suggest Rift amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Orange Super Crush

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I recently played a Friedman mini PT 20 and a Dirty Shirley. Both compact and lovely 1 x 10 combos, easily giggable, but not too big and loud for home either. They will do a good clean and overdrive sound. The Runt too, but I haven't played one.