Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Review of Onestop Egg Mayonaise Sandwich on white bread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Review of Onestop Egg Mayonaise Sandwich on white bread

What's Hot

I was just clearing my iphone notes out and I came accross this sandwich review.  Not sure why it was there, I must have intended to send it to Onestop, but got sidetracked.

I think it's a rather good review.  I'm going to go back to the same store and get the same sandwich, just so I can use it.  Assuming that they are still as bad, if they have improved, fair play, I will spare them.

Here's my review:-

I recently visited your Hebden Bridge store and had your Egg Mayonaise Sandwich on white bread. The anaemic bread housed the saddest, blandest egg known to man. I ate it and it bleached my soul. The overriding flavour was….desolation, or was it despair? Like 1000 crying souls, in sandwich format. I put some crisps on it, to try and inject some taste into it, but the crisps just gave up and died. I checked the packet - 68 ingredients. You would think one of those would amount to some sort of flavour, but they served to cancel each other out so powerfully they created a culinary black hole - and I was on the event horizon. Your average egg sandwich would have around 7 ingredients, perhaps the others 61 were all pulling in the wrong direction?   Bland sadness. Bleak destitution. I said to myself ‘Why do you hate me, oh sandwich?’. Why do you hate life? So harrowing and desolate. When I opened it up to place the crisps, that’s when I saw into the eyes of the devil.

Bit strong perhaps, but it was a bad sandwich.

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I think you need to lower your expectations a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good to see such a proporionate response.

I once had a pork pie where the crust was a bit too thick and hard. As a consequence, I torched the shop I bought it from…
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My takeaway from this, Bad Sandwich is a good name for a band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Stick to Pret a Manger
    their egg mayonnaise and smoked salmon with cress in a short baguette is decent enough but not ' Historic ' as Michael Winner would have said
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Egg mayo is the nothing of sandwiches.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dominic said:
    Stick to Pret a Manger
    their egg mayonnaise and smoked salmon with cress in a short baguette is decent enough but not ' Historic ' as Michael Winner would have said
    Yes, they are far better.  As long as you don't have any allergies, I'm fine on that score.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    Egg mayo is the nothing of sandwiches.
    True.  But it was the only non meat option and my only option for dinner.   Never again.
  • Good to see such a proporionate response.

I once had a pork pie where the crust was a bit too thick and hard. As a consequence, I torched the shop I bought it from…
    I bet was the first time you complained about something being too thick and hard Richard  ;)
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    Egg Mayo is vile. No wonder the sandwich was depressed. I’d feel sad if I was egg mayo.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited September 2023
    This is the king of Egg Sandwiches.  And yes, the fillings goes all the way to the back.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    For a moment I thought that said "tuna and lemon soda". 
  • This is the king of Egg Sandwiches.  And yes, the fillings goes all the way to the back.

Looks like an easy one to pick up at the services. ;)
  • merlin said:
    I'm actually rasing them a bit currently.   

I'm of the opinion it's not hard to make a decent sandwich.  Butty shops did it for years, but now our options are more limited to items that need to be able to sit on a shelf for a week.

Currently reading Ultra Processed People, which is putting me of things like this even more.   
  • merlin said:
    I'm actually rasing them a bit currently.   

I'm of the opinion it's not hard to make a decent sandwich.  Butty shops did it for years, but now our options are more limited to items that need to be able to sit on a shelf for a week.

Currently reading Ultra Processed People, which is putting me of things like this even more.   

You need to lower your expectations of something that sells for 99p and sits on a shelf for a week.

A proper sandwich shop with nice trays full of fresh(er) ingredients where a sandwich is 5-6 quid will be nicer, especially if it isn't a subway.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I believe Subway, legally speaking, sell savoury-filled cakes, not sandwiches, on account of the extraordinary level of sugar in their "bread". 
  • One Stop (Tesco) meal deals are decent VFM imo.. Main + snack + drink for £3.50.

The cheese triple or chicken, bacon and stuffing are my sarnies of choice.
  • merlin said:

You need to lower your expectations of something that sells for 99p and sits on a shelf for a week.

A proper sandwich shop with nice trays full of fresh(er) ingredients where a sandwich is 5-6 quid will be nicer, especially if it isn't a subway.

Yeah I'd always choose a proper butty shop and happy to pay more.  But not much open at that time.

It was about £1.75 I think.

Sporky said:
    I believe Subway, legally speaking, sell savoury-filled cakes, not sandwiches, on account of the extraordinary level of sugar in their "bread". 
    Mad isn't it.  The lead people to believe they are somehow a healthy option when really you may as well just go to Macdonald's instead. 
  • Tarquin Cholmondeley, seventh Earl of Sandwich, was a notorious rake, ne'er-do-well and gambler, who fled a mob of creditors, angry husbands and the generally disapproving to lie low in Europe. After several nomadic years he found himself in a tiny Tyrolean hamlet, where the delicious, fresh water inspired him with the idea of founding a health spa, at that time a fashionable holiday destination for the aristocracy. It was an immediate success, and the baths of Bad Sandwich became the most sought-after cure in Europe among the upper classes, which not only restored Cholmondeley's fortunes but completely reformed him, making him long-lived, tee-total and of blameless character.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mad isn't it.  The lead people to believe they are somehow a healthy option when really you may as well just go to Macdonald's instead. 
    I'd still rather have Subway. It's appeallingly slaggy.

Also I forgot you say that I enjoyed your review. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    Prepacked sandwiches, particularly in triangular format are the devils own door stops. A freshly made egg sandwich, cut from fresh bread, with freshly boiled eggs and roughly mashed with a little pepper, salt, and if you are feeling particularly fruity, a drop or 2 of hot sauce, is a delight. Equally nice with a little ham or bacon….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    But is only one(stop) egg mayonnaise sandwich un oeuf?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Egg only belongs in a sandwich when there is bacon and/or sausage  in there as well.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1261
    This be fair their chicken & bacon sub roll is very good, although choirs of angels do not sing.
  • I wouldn’t like to sell one my guitars to you.I might have to immigrate  :)
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    "White bread".... unpopular with reality TV show production teams for obvious reasons. 
  • rsvmark said:
    Prepacked sandwiches, particularly in triangular format are the devils own door stops. A freshly made egg sandwich, cut from fresh bread, with freshly boiled eggs and roughly mashed with a little pepper, salt, and if you are feeling particularly fruity, a drop or 2 of hot sauce, is a delight. Equally nice with a little ham or bacon….

Aaaah, I've been smearing shit on old amputated feet!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It can be worse - I used to work round the corner from a Greggs - put on a stone in a couple of months in a job that required tonnes of walking.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    I worked for a year and a bit at an engineering consultancy. They had cakes every Friday morning. When I left - on a Friday - they demanded a speech; I said "well, being a consultant has certainly made me a more rounded engineer". 
  • Try being a coeliac... the only publicly available sandwich known to me is sold by M&S. 

Usually when I have to resort to buying one I find myself on the road and at a BP with an M&S garage attached, and as always the one and only GF sandwich is the fucking bacon one, which apart from their Cheesy Taster Wotsit knockoffs are the only thing for miles that I can eat.. 

I'm sick of that sandwich, I've eaten it so many times. I'll be honest, gluten free bread aint great anyway and neither is cold bacon.. I wish they stocked anything else from the GF sandwich or wrap range. 

I think theyre about £5.50 as well. 

Literally feel raped every time it's in my mouth. 
    Sure I consent to the purchase.. it's more of an after eat clarity thing. 

Leaves me feeling empty. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I enjoy Farley Denton sandwiches.  I just upgrade the cress and they are as good as sandwiches three times the price.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter