Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Transferring Pedal Setups to Midi Controller, best practice? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Transferring Pedal Setups to Midi Controller, best practice?

Hi all,

I currently have about 6 pedals in my pedalboard setup.... all of which are midi enabled.

I recently purchased a midi controller to speed up live performances, as I currently use a setlist sheet and adjust settings manually between groups of songs.

So my question is.... I currently have my pedals setup as i need, how can i best just transfer these settings to the midi controller? Is there a way of copying setting from pedals to controller, or do i need to individually try and work out midi cc's etc for each individual pedal? (Especially for HX Stomp etc, I can see this taking some time and prone to mistakes). 

Any assistance would be greatly received.

Best wishes,
Matthew.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Here's what I do - rightly or wrongly. I don't have a MIDI controller. I'm using a Boss ES-5 and sending MIDI as well. I've got two MIDI-enabled pedals in ES-5 loops and one at the end of my signal chain after the signal has left the ES-5. 

The pedals have their own presets, and all can be loaded by PC commands or CC commands. Not all songs need pedals to be turned on or new presets loaded, but as setlists can change and songs moved around, the best thing I've found is to send commands to my pedals for every preset on the ES-5, every time. Then I can move things without worrying about what the new previous preset was doing. 

So, the pedal at the end of the chain is a Boss EQ-200. In every ES-5 preset, I send it a command. usually the command is to turn it off, apart from when I want to load an EQ setting and turn it on. 

The ones in ES-5 loops are a Mobius and a Ridge overdrive. I leave them turned on all the time, as the ES-5 lets me bring them into the signal chain or not. It just means I'm not wearing out the relay switches turning it on and off all the time. So, for those, I'm only sending commands when I want to load a preset for a song. If the previous song used a different preset and it's still loaded, I don't care because it's not in the signal chain (loop inactive). 

If you have everything always in the signal chain, you'll need to think about doing what I do for my EQ-200, I guess. 

And here comes the answer you don't want... You'll probably have to edit your MIDI controller to tell it what to send to your pedals. Preferably set each pedal up to use a different MIDI channel, too, so they don't get confused by messages intended for another one. Some pedals do have a "MIDI learn" capability, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter