Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). VW Transporter Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

VW Transporter Thread

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I was curious to know if anyone here owns a VW Transporter? Either for work or pleasure? 

Keen to see pics and share ideas/inspiration. We got one last year and it’s definitely a project but one that I’m going to do a bit at a time.

That’s our Indian Blue T5.1 SWB shuttle. I love the retro vibe so I managed to get a set of 18” steel smoothies sent over from England, stripped them and painted them in VW Lotus White L282 with Indian Blue centre caps. My next job is to start soundproofing and insulating it. Just need a dry day to make a start.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Nope, but I have a plate starts with T5...got it for my T5 Volvo, only realised that afterwards it is quite sought after in the VW camper community!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yep. We had an old AA van for a few years (1998 T4) which was a project, and we struggled to keep it on the road and move forward with the campervan conversion.

We sold that and splashed out on a ready converted 2014 T5 which was done by someone who does it semi-professionally for resale and we bought it in a fresh state. It's great. Pretty much like a car in terms of size so it fits into most car parking spaces and underneath the height restrictions, and is fine for winding narrow lanes in Cornwall etc.

It's handy to have somewhere to sit and enjoy a cuppa if you get caught in the rain, and to get changed if you've been swimming or caught out somehow. We love it. Handy for stopovers at friends if they don't have a spare bed etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited September 2023
    2017 T6 owner here - ex RAC so bright Orange :-)

We are halfway through having it converted by VanWorx in Dorset - because of the cost we are doing it in stages but we are already really excited for using it properly in the spring.

In the meantime as a daily driver it’s great - very car like and the 2.0 l diesel engine with the DSG gearbox is excellent and fairly economical at around 40-45 mpg combined
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    @GoldenEraGuitarsFunnily enough, I started a thread recently and if ok with you, happy for them to be merged as there's a few people on here who have them or are going through the same process as you. Just let the Mods know
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/253751/any-vw-t-campervan-owners-experiences-please#latest
  • Yep!! Bought one 2 weeks ago!! 2008 T5 which has been fully kitted out with Pop Top, RnR, full camper conversion (EHU, Split Charge, yadda yadda yadda) - its also had a small fortune spent on it with a new/recon engine, gearbox, DMF, Clutch, Turbo, 5.1 facelift etc etc - all by previous owner and all within the last year.

Needs a few things doing to it - going in for Strut Top Mounts on Friday and what sounds like an intercooler seal leak somewhere (hissign under boost). I'm putting bigger wheels on it as it looks a little bit puny on the 16's it has and I'm taking the hideous gold go-faster stripes off too....I've got the bug pretty bad actually - I've had Bay's and other VW/Porsche Aircooled things in the past so this is the next step up/mid-life crisis...

Like @roundthebend its pretty much like a car to handle and to be fair to it, it certainly hurtles along when you need it to as well considering it has the aerodynamics of a loaf...this one is the much mis-understood 2.5 bnz engine - known to be a bit of a diva for oil and the like, but hopefully with it being a fairly fresh recon I'm really hoping it has a few years in it yet.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @GoldenEraGuitars - the pic of yours on 18's - is that standard ride height? (Don't think so..)

I'm considering 18's as a compromise between looks and comfort
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm old school ... bought a 1997 VWT4 Autosleeper Trident in 2020 ... just turned 102,000 miles on odometer this Summer.

Been a few weekend trips in Yorkshire Dales, island hopping in Hebrides, Galloway forest park, Solway Coast, Scottish Borders, Lake District ... planning Orkney & Shetland next year.

Mrs F, me'n 15yo dog love it  ... tootling along single track roads to the middle of nowhere ... truly liberating and easy going. We've never been on a camp site yet ... wild camping all the way.

Only mod to the van has been to add a central console under the dashboard as it has more cubby holes and two mug holders.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisher said:
    I'm old school ... bought a 1997 VWT4 Autosleeper Trident in 2020 ... just turned 102,000 miles on odometer this Summer.

Been a few weekend trips in Yorkshire Dales, island hopping in Hebrides, Galloway forest park, Solway Coast, Scottish Borders, Lake District ... planning Orkney & Shetland next year.

Mrs F, me'n 15yo dog love it  ... tootling along single track roads to the middle of nowhere ... truly liberating and easy going. We've never been on a camp site yet ... wild camping all the way.

Only mod to the van has been to add a central console under the dashboard as it has more cubby holes and two mug holders.

Would love to hear more about that centre console thingy as we’re also thinking of doing something similar on ours as it wasted space - I think the T4 has a bit more room though?
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    edited September 2023
    Watching with interest as I’d like to experience a bit of the recreational campervan lifestyle. 

We hired a motorhome for a recent festival and although it was fantastic accommodation/facilities - the driving experience wasn’t great. Hardly luxury! 

I think a van is probably the sweet spot between enjoyment, practicality and value.

Those wheels look excellent @GoldenEraGuitars ;;
  • Make sure to put the red 'GTI' stripe in the grille, and slap loads of 'stay humble' and 'love wagon' stickers all over the thing. Oh, and the backstreet remap.
  • And…. ‘Don’t laugh, your daughter may be inside’
  • westwest Frets: 974
    edited September 2023
    Love my T4  2.5tdi , had it about 4 years passed all mots i only do about 2k local then however many trips that years its more a day van  insulated and carpeted loads of trips to wales ruda in north devon , south devon etc  chuck yer stuff in and go ! 

right click new tab ...

• @welshboyo this is what I installed in our van and it made a significant difference:

https://van-x.co.uk/product/vw-t4-cup-holder/

I also bought a rubber floor mat for the cab and cut it to size/fit around all the wee obstacles ...  and a blue, rubber backed floor mat for the living area which helps massively with keeping the space clean.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    @welshboyo that looks fab! Do you have any pics of the inside?

You’re right about the ride height of ours.. I forgot to mention it’s dropped on springs. We chose springs because coil overs, while admittedly looking awesome, wouldn’t be ideal on the roads as a daily driver if you like comfort. Between the springs and 18” steels we’ve got a really nice driving experience tbh.

@stevebrum thank you! I absolutely love them. I must get better pics taken soon 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is ours. Driving up snowy mountain roads in the Vosges earlier this year was awesome. The French clear their roads well and we took snow socks just incase. If we'd got stuck we could put the heater on and make a cuppa!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We do want to put slightly bigger wheels on and lower it a touch, then some styling. But those things cost money and aren't particularly important.
    I put 215 75 15  bf goodrich ko2 all terrains on mine ( standard suspension )  great ride , havnt got stuck on mud grass or sand yet .....
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    west said:
    I put 215 75 15  bf goodrich ko2 all terrains on mine ( standard suspension )  great ride , havnt got stuck on mud grass or sand yet .....
    @west how do you find those tyres for road and motorway driving? I'd always assumed there was a trade off that meant they'd be worse on road in terms of economy, comfort, noise etc.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    west said:
    @west how do you find those tyres for road and motorway driving? I'd always assumed there was a trade off that meant they'd be worse on road in terms of economy, comfort, noise etc.

The only trade off that bothers me is there seems to be slighly less grip on wet tarmac , i  dont get the noise thing , maybe as i use 45 psi on longer motorway journeys , i havnt notice an mpg prob either but most of my journeys are local except for jollys , they are fookin expensive ! i also looked at falken wild peeks at the time but the bfgs looked better , shallow i know .... ;)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    edited September 2023
    @GoldenEraGuitars sorry for the delay, here's the inside.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • welshboyo said:

That looks bloody great - love the seats especially
  • welshboyo said:

That looks bloody great - love the seats especially
    Thanks Mate, yeah, front matches as well, claiming it as my own work, when in fact its to the previous owner's credit that its like this!! 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited October 2023
    @GoldenEraGuitars those wheels look brilliant, you couldn't have chosen better to suit your van. I need to get mine sorted, but just can't make up my mind what to go for. Still got the factory fitted 16" Clayton's.