Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). James Tyler Tylerbastar Neck - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

James Tyler Tylerbastar Neck

What's Hot
ReflexReflex Frets: 56
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Bit of long shot but I thought I’d throw it out there….

I’ve recently picked up a Tylerbastar and Im over the moon with the resonance, tone and fretboard.  The neck is their standard medium C which is perhaps a little larger than I’m used to - 845 at 1st fret / .975 at 12th fret.

I know Tyler does a slightly slimmer neck profile - .825 to .950. and I have a preference for slightly slimmer necks.  I understand there’s a possibility of loosing some of the tone and resonance, but I’d be interested to try the slim neck (if anyone has a USA Tylerbastar with one).  I guess also with the possibly of a trade, if both parties were interested.

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I think your chances of even finding that spec are virtually zero.........let alone working out a deal
    Persist and the neck will become 'normal' for you
    if not,get it shaved a bit by a good luthier .......it's most likely your only hope
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dominic said:
    I think your chances of even finding that spec are virtually zero.........let alone working out a deal
    Persist and the neck will become 'normal' for you
    if not,get it shaved a bit by a good luthier .......it's most likely your only hope
    Ha, I think you may well be right.

I have to say the neck is fine to play, a different thumb position from what I’m used to in a medium/thin C, but I’m possibly getting used to it?  Sometimes these things can be largely psychosomatic…., 

Shaving the neck could open a whole can of worms, so I think it’s a trade or stick with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReflexReflex Frets: 56
    edited September 2023
    I’ve moved this post out of ‘Guitars£‘ as not overly looking to trade.  More to get an idea about the neck
  • For what it's worth, I absolutely wouldn't modify or sell that neck. Tyler's go for silly money these days and you'll lose an absolute chunk by doing so.

You'd have a much easier time having a new neck made by an after-market builder, based on your existing one but to the dimensions that you're after. If you're lucky, you may be able to find someone local enough or who's happy to send the in-progress neck back & forth to you for testing the profile before finishing etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    I'm with Dominic on this as the only Tylers, including a Tylerbastar, that I've ever played/come across have had the full neck.

Although shaving the neck isn't an option at the moment, if you do decide to go down that route, can I recommend Charlie Chandler for that of CCGX but I hope you get used to it.
  • I don't think the difference between those specs is enough to warrant the hassle – and I can be fussy about necks, too, though admittedly more about the shape than the thickness.

If you're really bothered by it, I'd sell and look for another Tyler that has the neck like a slightly less tapered Fender CS 60s Oval C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi Guys, thanks for your input.

Firstly, not looking to sell, it’s a peach and there’s so much I love about the guitar irrespective of the neck.  I’m also not finding the neck impossible, just trying to work out whether I’ll be able to adjust from my usual preference of a medium slim to what is a very slightly chunkier standard.

I’m hopeful that I can adjust and muscle memory/hand position will normalise - playing seems to easing a little after what was initially an ache.  I need to jam for 2-3 hrs to really know.

Don’t think I’d shave or swap the neck… given that the size is just a fraction past what I’ve been used to.

The marginal size reduction of the ‘Tyler slim neck profile’ seemed worth trying out given the above, however if it’s truely that rare I may have drop that idea :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's my understanding that the neck has a significant effect on the sound of a guitar. A different neck might change the sound to something you don't like.
  • ljsljs Frets: 48
    I had the same issue: bought a Tyler BW. sadly never managed to get used to the neck which is too big for me. Ended up selling the guitar