Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yet another stupid project… - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yet another stupid project…

What's Hot
Digging around, I recently found a spare MIC Strat neck (may have been from a Stratacoustic) and a P-Bass copy.. 

In the spirit of this beast,  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/243471/another-stupid-h7-project, I decided it might be interesting to unite the two in unholy matrimony…

https://i.imgur.com/4oi97D6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yzdqWA6.jpg

I’m actually tempted to keep the P-Bass pickup.

Not sure yet whether it will have a Strat hardtail bridge, a Jag vibrato/Bigsby and T-o-M or maybe a vintage Kahler Pro/Flyer.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That actually works! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    And only now do I realise how much bigger a P-bass body is than a Strat body.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great stuff,
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    That hangs well, the bass body looks like nice wood too (once you look past the MOTS :-; )
  • Nah... that's a nice body. It's asking for a P neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Neilybob said:
    That actually works! 
    It actually doesn't!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 531
    edited September 2023
    Hmm?   A Pratocaster  possibly?  
  • You’re playing God.  Meddling with forces you can’t comprehend!  ;)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited September 2023
    Reminds me of that line from Jurassic Park “just because they could, they never stopped to think if they should”  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Hmm, the tiny gap between the neck and the body would trigger my ocd. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    Tiny gap?  You could carry your lunch in it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Honestly, is this the Emperor's new clothes or something?  What magic am I not seeing?

It's just a perfectly ordinary Strat neck attached to a perfectly ordinary Precision body.  It hasn't even got a badly-positioned bridge or a quirky set of pickups.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Sesh said:
    You could carry your lunch in it.
    That’s the plan! Neck pocket snack box! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    From bolt-on neck to bolt-on appendix!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Philly_Q said:
    Sesh said:
    You could carry your lunch in it.
    That’s the plan! Neck pocket snack box! ;)
    You could keep morsels of cured meats and cheeses in there to feed to the drummer if he does a good job. 

I think it looks OK. Better than I thought it would from the description before I looked at the photos. I thought the body would be huge in comparison.  Looks like the kind of thing CBS would have done in the late 60s if they’d accidentally cut too many Precision bodies. You could probably pass it off as that on Ebay.  That’s gotta be worth at least £15k of any idiot’s money. 
  • Any normal person would put the body and neck up for sale separately then, use the proceeds to fund something else.
    Be seeing you.
  • Any normal person would put the body and neck up for sale separately then, use the proceeds to fund something else.
    They might.

But that’s not half as much fun.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    That bass body has an MIK Höhner/Tanglewood look about it. I have a couple of bass necks - one of which ought to fit - and an outlet for the finished bitsa. Sell me the bass body.

On the other hand, who am I to deny you the pleasure of torturing budget instrument parts in the name of Science? 
    Be seeing you.
  • I’m calling this a “reverse baritone”.
  • I’m calling this a “reverse baritone”.
    Irabtone?
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    This is what happens when someone has too much time on their hands. 
  • I’m actually tempted to keep the P-Bass pickup.
    Any P-type with blade polepieces will sense all six strings. 

Ditto, the DiMarzio Will Power Middle model with its line of hidden grub screws between the ceramic bar magnets.

Just out of curiosity, what is the width of the neck pocket?
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Sesh said:

A custom pickguard would solve that.
    Maybe even put a pickup in there?
  • prowla said:
    Sesh said:

A custom pickguard would solve that.
    Maybe even put a pickup in there?

I think several peeps have jumped to the conclusion that the neck position is already set/is permanently affixed, so:

a. In the pic, it’s just trial-positioned…no screws attached. Any gaps in the heel/neck pocket area will obviously filled in order to assure a snug fit*.

b. Still trying to decide what to do re. the inevitable pickguard gap.

*Don’t have the workshop fully-functional at present, so this means hand-shaped blocks glued in place, rather than one block and break out the router.

• You do realise, that it would be cheaper and just as painful for you to get into self flagellation and buy yourself a couple of really good cilces, like horse hair shirts and underwear, and to use and wear them, than what you're doing with guitars, I personally favour the spiked strap for around the thighs.

• You do realise, that it would be cheaper and just as painful for you to get into self flagellation and buy yourself a couple of really good cilces, like horse hair shirts and underwear, and to use and wear them, than what you're doing with guitars, I personally favour the spiked strap for around the thighs.

Of course, but they’re not guitar-shaped…

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    You do realise, that it would be cheaper and just as painful for you to get into self flagellation and buy yourself a couple of really good cilces, like horse hair shirts and underwear, and to use and wear them, than what you're doing with guitars, I personally favour the spiked strap for around the thighs.

Of course, but they’re not guitar-shaped…

But you can be, if you use the right cilces, do it right, and put in half the effort you do into torturing poor defenseless guitars.  If you're going to torture a guitar, at least do it to one that deserves it, like Telecasters.
  • ... that's a nice body. It's asking for a P neck
    Still this.
    Be seeing you.
  • I reckon you could probably get two banjo necks side by side into that neck pocket.