Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). MJT Strat, MIJ Tokai Love Rock and Jerry Jones Six String Bass (baritone) - prices dropped again - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

MJT Strat, MIJ Tokai Love Rock and Jerry Jones Six String Bass (baritone) - prices dropped again

What's Hot
benecolbenecol Frets: 394
edited September 2023 in Guitars £
I can ride a bicycle much better than I can play the guitar, and I find myself down a bicycle. Selling off some of my treasures here (my Vibrochamp's also listed in the amps section).

First up, my MJT Strat:

Ordered and built from Mark Jenny at MJT in 2012, it was my second MJT (had a pink tele as well, which I sold here last year). Spec runs as follows:
- Alder body finished in Ocean Turquoise Metallic; MJT's closet clean finish (the nitro has aged, dinged and checkered beautifully in the intervening eleven years).
Musikraft CBS Strat one-piece maple neck - 7 1/4" radius, 6105 frets, Boat V .95"x.95" profile. Musikraft installed the nut, MJT finished it in nitro.
- Gotoh vintage keys, six screw Allparts trem (the posher steel block one) - all MJT aged.
- Pickups are Rose Pickups Robustas; sadly, not made any more, Rose pickups were brilliant. Robustas the closest in spec I could get to the U-stamped grey bobbin pickups in my old Tokai - hot (for a strat) but not very hot. Warm maybe. 6.2ohms. Had the middle one round non-RWRP for less spank in the mixed positions (I don't like that sound!). Wired with a 0.47 cap for a darker sound when the tone's rolled off - I used the Seymour Duncan wiring scheme which means the second tone control also works for the bridge.

I love it to bits - only had my Jazzmaster longer. A big neck on a strat is such a thing of beauty. It's been played a lot - neck's in great condition, body has picked up some battlescars along the way. It's been on the radio! I lent it to The Once and Future Band when their airline lost the guitarist's guitar (never heard of them, but a fan of the label they're on). They used it on a 6Music session for Marc Riley, and I got a mention (they also lost the original trem arm, so the eagle-eyed amongst you might notice it's a bit whiter than the knobs).

Any questions, give me a shout - I'll post it if you want (shipping at cost - reckon £30, but I'll refund any less?), but happy to meet up halfway/within 50 miles of M5 J13 (whichever's closest to me) for a little swig of petrol. I'd like £775 please. X

Secondly - my 2002 MIJ Tokai Love Rock.

Tokai model names mainly based on yen pricing at the time as I understand it, so this is either an LS60 or LS65 - same thing effectively. I love it. Came to me after lengthy service in a South Wales bar band, and frankly I can't think of a better proving ground. Hilarious fun, Tokais so deserving of the hype. It's their "Violin FInish" colour scheme (see cavity pic below), so a beautiful faded burst. Neck is thick but not monstrous. I've switched the original pickups out for DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries, because they're lovely - original pickups are in the case in the DiMarzio boxes. Fitted with straplocks (because of its time in a bar band, I'm guessing). A minor ding behind the bridge (about 7 o'clock if the image above was a clockface) and the neck pickup ring is cracked (hasn't bothered me a bit, no tone lost). Comes with a CNB (me neither) hardcase. I'm a bit wary to send Gibson-style guitars, but will if you really want at cost, but I'd rather meet you in-between/50 miles from M5 J13 (whichever's nearest me). Or come round and play it? I'd like £675 please.

Third one's the Marmite one. My Jerry Jones Longhorn Six String Bass. Which, just to complicate things further, I have strung and tuned as a baritone.

...because there's effectively no difference between their baritones and their Six String Basses. Came to me (I imported it from the States six years ago) strung and tuned E-E, but I prefer to be able to play chords (I think they flub out a bit E-E), so I use 14-68 baritone strings and tune it A-A. I've had quite a few baritones, but this has been the keeper; 30" scale length so wonderfully reverberant, and Jerry's lipsticks are by far the best I've heard; almost a grand piano quality on the neck, the best twang on the bridge, and the middle position is combined (in series? I forget...) so barks like a humbucker. It's a really versatile guitar. Was gutted when Jerry Jones stopped making guitars - his craftsmanship is amazing, and I'm painfully aware that once this one's gone, I might not be able to get another. Made with love and skill in Nashville. I enjoyed the (Korean) Danelectro I used to have, but their owner is a Trump-supporting horroshow, so I wouldn't in good faith own one now. The quality of Jerry Jones's knocks them into a cocked hat.
In good nick, but the odd battle scar - the little nick in the finish on the back of the neck the main (very minor) gripe. It comes with a G&G hard case (with the world's brightest red lining). Pricing a bit all over the map - getting rare, a handmade beautiful instrument. That also looks like something a rockabilly pharoah would play. I'd like £1000 for it. As above, if I had to ship, I would at your cost, but would much rather drive 50 miles/half way from M5 J13 (whichever's closest to me). Give me a yell with any questions.

That's it. The cupboard is (almost) bare.
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• benecolbenecol Frets: 394
    Thread updated with all my wares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Like a sexy striptease, I'm going to slowly reduce my prices until someone bites/they find market value/I lose my nerve/the bike I want goes out of stock. Please imagine I've just tentatively removed one stocking and thrown it into the audience.

(prices dropped).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've just pinged my garter at you - further drops for the weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sunday bumpday
    A little bump for payday.