Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD: Wow. - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD: Wow.

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
This’ll probably be of little interest to many because it’s humble / not boutique, but I’ve had a burning urge to get another big muff, despite enjoying the green I have. After watching a gazillion shoot outs
on YouTube, I came to the conclusion that the EHX versions always sound better than their twice-the-price boutique counterparts. Even though the little voice in the back of my head was perfectly prepared to spend silly money, I thought the EHX Rams Head reissue consistently sounded best to my ear in YouTube vids. Ordered one on Saturday and it arrived today. 

HFS. Find a better way to spend £95. I challenge you. What a gloriously riotous noise. Low end. Top end. Note clarity. An absolute joy. 

Would thoroughly recommend any fan of Muffs to try one. 

End of message. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I'm pretty sure the sustain has to be on full, legally speaking. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    I'm pretty sure the sustain has to be on full, legally speaking. 
    It’s so good. Rare that I’m this taken with a new pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I had the next size up, I think - it was a marvellous sound. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I had one of these and it is indeed brilliant - the low end isn’t so out of control as a normal muff and there’s more mids - it sounds a bit like a slightly scooped Rat on 20. Only sold as I got a Redbeard Angry Rhubarb, which is even more superb, but only just to be fair. 
  • It just does the thing. I need one for various songs in the Gallops set, and nothing quite hits the noisy bastard marks like a muff. 
  • Looks great
  • One day I’ll try a Thorpy because Adrian is a gent and it literally has my name on it, but I’d be genuinely surprised if I preferred it. That’s not in any way to denigrate AT (see above personal review) but more just an endorsement of the EHX. 

Don’t let the cheapness put you off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Rams Head has always been the best Muff. 

Until Thorpy did the Fallout and then especially the BC108 version of the Fallout. Now it’s those. They’ll knock your socks off, especially the BC one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Until Thorpy did the Fallout and then especially the BC108 version of the Fallout. Now it’s those. They’ll knock your socks off, especially the BC one
    The real question is though… twice as good? I have no doubt that they are more than twice as expensive to produce… but are they twice as good to the end user? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A Thorpy would have properly aligned etching I’ll grant you. The wonky screen print is lolz. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

The real question is though… twice as good? I have no doubt that they are more than twice as expensive to produce… but are they twice as good to the end user? 
    I haven’t tried that pedal, and I don’t actually like muffs that much… so… maybe? 

If anyone is starting a stoner rock band in the Middle East I’ll be happy to get involved and let you know!! 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also, not singling Thorpy out here. Same applies to way huge / JHS / insert boutique clone here 
  • Also I feel the need to qualify all of the above with an explanation of my usage. 

I’m not one of your subtle, roll back the volume for edge of break up users of fuzz. I’m not looking for syrupy solos. I hate ripping velcro fuzzes with a passion. I use fuzz sparingly, but when I do I want it to be bastard obnoxious. That’s where I think a muff excels above all others. 

I’ve had the fuzz factory and try as I might I just couldn’t get on with it. I enjoyed the Fairfield unpleasant surprise, but it’s a very different beast. In fact, whenever I try a fuzz I come back to a big muff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Muff is at its absolute best when your amp is running full throttle. It REALLY comes alive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also, not singling Thorpy out here. Same applies to way huge / JHS / insert boutique clone here 
    Yeah Thorpy is def better than all the others :P 
    Yeah Thorpy is def better than all the others :P 
    I picked it because it’s the one that piqued my interest most 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited September 2023
    I love that one and the Green Russian, I’ll get them both again one day soon. Brilliant little pedals. I’ve had the Cornish and many others but few satisfy me as much as these do…probably down to price and form factor, but those good things certainly don’t affect how good the sound is on both versions either. Great pedals and good choice.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I’d like to pick up an op amp at some point too. Maybe a triangle while I’m at it  :#
  • These EHX reissues are amazing. The ICBM one is also really good. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    I think the value in the Fallout Cloud is that it’s much more flexible than a 3-knob Muff due to the 2-band eq. You can really dial in/out the specific tone you need based on your stacking and the mix. Worth the extra? For sure for some people. For a bedroom player, maybe not? 
  • pt22 said:
    I think the value in the Fallout Cloud is that it’s much more flexible than a 3-knob Muff due to the 2-band eq. You can really dial in/out the specific tone you need based on your stacking and the mix. Worth the extra? For sure for some people. For a bedroom player, maybe not? 
    Wouldn’t class myself as a bedroom player though. Sometimes I play in other rooms. Some of those rooms are even outside of my house. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Be really good to just celebrate the pedal in question, tbh. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    Yeah, these are great. I’ve got the rams head and green Russian and they’re both fantastic. Great value pedals.
  • I love all these EHX reissues. The Green Russian really sticks out as a fave, but the board currently has the op amp SP variant. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 638
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Death by Audio Fuzz War is still my favourite "obnoxious noise" muff based pedal, the tone control can get some pretty interesting sounds out of it. And it has the best official demo video from any manufacturer

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I'm 100% in agreeance that when it comes to Big Muffs you can't beat the EHX ones. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    I picked up an EHX Green Russian from the same range as this. Don’t use it much except in the studio, but I gave it a spin last night and it’s really great. I might try to grab a Ram’s Head as well - they’re pretty good value. 
    I tend to do the massive floaty solo thing with tons of delay, which I guess is a cliche, but it’s such bloody good fun pretending you’re live at Pompeii :) 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    TBH, all the muff clones I've played may sound good, but just sound like a muff... but often with more complicated controls, to add stuff... that you don't need to achieve the muff sound and you end up not using that extra stuff. So they end up sounding identical but cost loads more and have more controls... so you may as well buy an EHX in the first place.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I had a Fredric Green Russian which was good, to be fair I've got a cheap joyo fuzz which I use for the same purpose now.