Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Saw a scorpion or something today! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Saw a scorpion or something today!

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Devil’s Coach Horse Beetle, I believe.

They do look a bit unnerving. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Haven't seen one for years. Looks like a Devil's Coach Horse beetle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Haven't seen one for years. Looks like a Devil's Coach Horse beetle. 
    SILVER! 

;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    They’ve arrived,they’ve arrived, run run !!

earwig ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    As I walked towards it it crouched down and stuck its tail up and yelled at me, I thought I was going to die. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's OK, they don't sting.

They are a bit bitey though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It’s got a charming name, I hope it’s proud of itself, the nasty little cunt. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Actually, they do a lot of great community work. They really love to give back. 
    Oh in that case I take that back - sorry little fellow! Keep up the good work. 
    I didn't say they aren't bastards. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Christ, imagine if they grew double (or more) in size. Yuk!
    I play at my dining room table.
    Deadman said:
    Christ, imagine if they grew double (or more) in size. Yuk!
    I hope not, those colourful things are the roofs of houses - I was in a helicopter. 

Sporky said:
    I didn't say they aren't bastards. 

Fuckers, I hate them. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    They're a pretty common garden beastie. Or they used to be before insects started becoming strangely scarce.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    And there are scorpions in the UK, yellow-tailed scorpions from Europe. I've seen them but only at the now closed Ongar station in Essex. 

They apparently came to the UK on banana boats around 200 years ago and live in isolated areas. They don't like cold and wet so haven't been very successful. Yet. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    DCHB.  Hard as fuck and can emit acid from their arseholes, which is why they arch their abdomen forward.

Just sayin'.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Offset said:
    DCHB.  Hard as fuck and can emit acid from their arseholes, which is why they arch their abdomen forward.

Just sayin'.
    Have you spent much time in Newcastle?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Offset said:

Just sayin'.
    Have you spent much time in Newcastle?
    Very little.  I presume this is down to the Geordie phaal?
    Offset said:
    can emit acid from their arseholes
    That's actually where chip shop vinegar comes from. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    Very cool bug.  

According to Wikipedia, it does exactly as @viz describes when feeling threatened.

Bugs are pretty gross, but I’ve come to value them and their place in the food chain.  That beetle will make a nice meal for something and in the meantime it’ll eat some moths and spiders for you.
  • A close up…
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Seen loads of them in my life. Not much like a scorpion!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A close up…
    That's it!!!!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    edited September 2023
    I was thinking while I walked the dog the other day that you don’t see Devil’s Coach Horses very much these days… I remember when I was a kid thinking that they’re perfectly named; they really do look like the sort of thing that might pull a satanic coach about

That’s interesting about the scorpions in Ongar, @merlin - I always thought that they were literally just in and around Chatham docks, but a quick look online suggests that they’re all around the south east. I’d quite like to see one, but from a distance and not in my house, ideally.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar