Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). VOX Saito - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

VOX Saito

What's Hot
https://reverb.com/uk/shop/the-vox-shop-uk

Ooh, these look nice...

VOX Saito TLC  Natural image 1

Oh yes. Very nice. That's cool...
VOX Saito JMC  Carrot Orange image 1

Good value for money too. 
Oh yeah. I'm inter....WHAT THE FUCK?!?!/?!!?1/1/11?

VOX Saito JMC  Carrot Orange image 9

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

14reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Oddly, I don’t hate that at all. I have a Vox guitar, Korean not Japanese like these and it’s fabulous and faultless. 

Can’t see these selling well at £1K though. There just isn’t the demand for Vox branded guitars to support the price, however good they might be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oooh I quite like those!

I’d rather see another take on their Virage and SSC/SDC lines though - they had some really interesting features and great concepts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    It needs the head to be deeper & read  
                                                                      Vox
                                                                        Vox
                                                                          Vox
                                                                            Vox

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oooh I quite like those!

I’d rather see another take on their Virage and SSC/SDC lines though - they had some really interesting features and great concepts.
    Hard agree. Their guitar-making seems totally directionless. The Virage was the one recent design that felt considered and 'ownable', and they just binned it. Baffling.

Also baffling: why do they keep using that logo?! It was terrible 60 years ago and looks even worse now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    These seem to be made by Saito Guitars. A boutique maker in Tokyo. 

Not saying they’re necessarily good value for money, but the only one I can see in Europe with a quick google is here:

https://www.guitarsrebellion.com/en/products/saito-s622cs-fashion-gray-211765

€2,349 + shipping 

Saito seems to be a high end maker with positive (but limited) feedback in English. 

Wonder how they ended up making some guitars with Vox branding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    IMHO, the headstock is the best bit. Vox always did distinctive shapes, these bodies just look too ordinary. I liked the look of the pointy double cut SDC models, though I've only ever seen photos of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Interesting @Rich31k – looks like Saito guitars are distributed through Korg in Japan. Wonder if the bigwigs at Korg were thinking about farming out guitar-making duties to a local business they already had a relationship with? Or maybe it was just some sort of promotional thing?
  • I see someone's bought the blue super-Strat – wonder if there will be a NGD post here soon?!
  • I like the fact the offset is in ‘carrot orange’, these could some really nice instruments at a good price given the Japanese pedigree 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited September 2023
    Rich31k said:

Wonder how they ended up making some guitars with Vox branding. 
     I guess the Korg connection pointed out by @barnstorm is where it started, but I also guess, based on the fact that these guitars are only on Vox's direct sales shop on Reverb and nowhere else, and that they're all one-offs, that it's a direction Vox ultimately decided not to go in.

I can see why- all the recent Vox guitar designs at least as far back as the Virage and the SSC/SDCs (and probably all the way back to the Teardrops of the 60s) have been fairly adventurous, whereas (excepting the "Body off Baywatch, Face off Crimewatch" headstock design) these are very tasteful takes on traditional designs.

Bigsby said:
    IMHO, the headstock is the best bit. Vox always did distinctive shapes, these bodies just look too ordinary. I liked the look of the pointy double cut SDC models, though I've only ever seen photos of them.
    I tried one of the mid-priced 33 series back when they came out and I had about that much money to spend on a new guitar. It was fine, but it felt like a step down in quality compared to the lower end Gibsons and the PRS X series that it was competing with. Maybe I wasn't who that guitar was aimed at.

• Does the world need another brand selling Telecasters? 

And why oh why would they put the volume so close to the switch? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I like the headstock, but the bodies are same old same old....

I would guess that a similar conversation happened at Vox HQ. No reason not to make some of the money they spent on prototypes back though.

Because that's what Leo did?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Baffling, considering Vox already have a 6 in line headstock shape that they've used for decades.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Love that colour on the offset 
  • The Yellow Submarine
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Baffling, considering Vox already have a 6 in line headstock shape that they've used for decades.

The one from the old Teardrop and Phantom guitars?

The VOX Showroom - Vox 50th Anniverasry MkIII Teardrop Guitar

I don't hate it.

• FX_Munkee said:
    Baffling, considering Vox already have a 6 in line headstock shape that they've used for decades.

The one from the old Teardrop and Phantom guitars?

The VOX Showroom - Vox 50th Anniverasry MkIII Teardrop Guitar

I don't hate it.

Yes, that one. They've used it on and off for pretty much ever. Like on my (Matsumoko) Custom 25 from the eighties.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • @FX_Munkee - the traditional Vox one's horrid though, I'd choose the Saito one over that.

Going back to the Virage models, look at how nice the hardware on them was, I'd love to get my hands on these for my own builds... I might try to resurrect some of their design language:

They really were beautiful:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @FX_Munkee - the traditional Vox one's horrid though, I'd choose the Saito one over that.

Going back to the Virage models, look at how nice the hardware on them was, I'd love to get my hands on these for my own builds... I might try to resurrect some of their design language:

They really were beautiful:

And Prince played them on his final tour so extra cool points!
  • Don't know why they don't just make proper (modern) versions of the Phantom and Teardrop. Surely they're the only Vox guitars that people might actually want?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    edited September 2023
    Don't know why they don't just make proper (modern) versions of the Phantom and Teardrop. Surely they're the only Vox guitars that people might actually want?
    You mean these didn't fly off the shelves like we all thought they would?

https://imgur.com/a/AiOqfAu 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter