Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Where to buy a nice, small desk? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Where to buy a nice, small desk?

What's Hot
My wife has a stipend to buy equipment she needs to work from home and we may look at replacing her quite cheap and nasty desk. It's quite a small space, so we're looking at 90cm max.

John Lewis stuff looks either quite nice and wildly overpriced, IKEA stuff generally looks quite cheap and nasty (or the good stuff is too big for the space) and places like Made (didn't someone buy that?) and Rowen & Wren aren't really thnrowing up any good offerings. 

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1043
    I would go to Ikea, although you have ruled them out already. My Ikea desk is a larger one, but fits the bill nicely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Do you need an actual desk or a small table with, perhaps, a pedestal underneath?

You could also try second hand office furniture suppliers, some of their stuff is as good as new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I paid someone local far too much to build one, and then discovered that you can get Worktop Express to make you a custom size, solid wood, desk top, with custom edges (eg rounded, chamfered, etc) and cable holes etc pre drilled for very reasonable sums.

Buy some legs from a supplier of your choice, sorted. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I faffed around with this for a long time and they were either crazy expensive, too big or just crap. MandS and Next might be worth a look although surprisingly poor for the money. If you are anywhere near Stoke you could pop into the Westbridge outlet (they supply M and S and Next and sell run ends, etc, at the outlet). 
    And so in the end...I retired. My son is on his second IKEA desk as the first one eventually fell to bits and if he ever moves out this one will have an axe taken to it if it hasn't. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Have a look on Esty there will be loads or Pinterest that’s what I did in similar circumstances 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I needed a lot of space for laptop, monitor, papers etc so bought a white kitchen table from ikea for £35 which matches the other white furniture in our office/den and is solid as a rock. (Or a heavy table at least). 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    There are some nice children's desks that'll go up to the right right but are well made, small, and jolly.

Moll spring to mind. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I bought a desk from Riz and Mica Make. 

All their stuff is reclaimed wood (mainly sanded / stained scaffold boards). 

I just had a look and the smallest they do is 100x60 so a bit too big, but I’d happily recommend them. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    See if her office are throwing any out, the desk I'm sat at now was liberated from work.

Ah, just re-read the size constraint - maybe not then.
  • I got one made during covid. It was expensive as it was quite big but it’s utterly perfect for our needs (in this case a specific size and integrated shelf to fit a puzzle board and guitar cables when not in use)

I’m not U.K. based so can’t offer recommendations beyond suggesting that it might still be a good option if you would benefit from something slightly non-standard! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I bought a very nice solid pine desk from a charity shop for next to nothing.
    Surprising what you can find in those places.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
  • You just need to get a desk from Ikea, and change the pickups.

Then it's as good as any other desk.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    knick one from a school..........they're quite small
  • West Elm
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I made a quick one in lockdown when my partner and I were working from home.   

Just some metal hair pin legs and quickly jointed scaffold boards cut into a V fronted desk.   

Then when she changed jobs I cut it down to fit a smaller space, reusing the same legs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvansDrD said:
    West Elm
    Some of their designs are great but they use a remarkable amount of MDF considering the prices they charge
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Best desk ive had… beautifully made and practical; and goes up and down :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CBVGXZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    I've used this bunch before https://www.officeresale.co.uk/, but there are loads of other re-used office equipment places.

• khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    This has been a goldmine - thanks all!