Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). average pedal power consumption - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

average pedal power consumption

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 822
As the title, is there any such thing as an average?

I've ordered a Harley Benton FLX8 loop switcher which needs 300mA

I'll be running 3 pedals in the loops:

2 x Marshall Govnor 2
and a pure sky timmy clone.

I can't find any power stats for either of these. 

I've got a wall wart that is rated at 1.3 amps. Just wondering if it's likley to be able to cope. Obv being a loop switcher all pedals will be on all of the time. 

If I try it and it's not powerful enough would it damage either the pedals or supply, or just not work?

Thanks is advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• The Guvnors are likely to be under 100mA each, and the Timmy about the same.

1.3A is 1300mA.

You've got plenty for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    relic245 said:

I've got a wall wart that is rated at 1.3 amps. Just wondering if it's likley to be able to cope. Obv being a loop switcher all pedals will be on all of the time. 

All pedals are always on all the time. The bypass routes the signal around the circuit, but the circuit stays on.

I s'pose on some simple circuits the LED might draw a significant proportion of the total power used... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Interestingly on the Marshall site the Rereleases of the Guvnor manual states the draw is only 6mA which seems too low to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Interestingly on the Marshall site the Rereleases of the Guvnor manual states the draw is only 6mA which seems too low to me.
    Believable for the MkI, as it only has one op-amp, a TL072 which draws only about 2 or 3mA at most - the LED and the voltage divider circuit probably take about the same again so 6mA sounds about right to me.

The GV-2 has two op-amps, so probably still less than 10mA.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Interestingly on the Marshall site the Rereleases of the Guvnor manual states the draw is only 6mA which seems too low to me.

Probably about right. The very common TL072 op amp* used in many pedals only draws about 2mA and I doubt there are more than two of them in it?
    Folks also seem to think LEDs draw significant current? Well they can pull 10mA or more if you let 'em! But modern ultra high brightness LEDs can be more than bright enough at 1-2mA. Many years ago I bought a Lucky Bag of LEDs and some were perfectly bright enough at 200 MICRO amps! They were used to show the presence of phantom power at the XLR so economy of juice was important.

*and that is about a 40yr old design. There are far more parsimonious chips about now with better audio performance.

Dave.
    ecc83 said:
    Folks also seem to think LEDs draw significant current? 
    Well, if the circuit is 6mA, and the LED is 2mA, the LED makes up 25% of the total. 25% is certainly significant in engineering terms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    ecc83 said:

Probably about right. The very common TL072 op amp* used in many pedals only draws about 2mA and I doubt there are more than two of them in it?
    Folks also seem to think LEDs draw significant current? Well they can pull 10mA or more if you let 'em! But modern ultra high brightness LEDs can be more than bright enough at 1-2mA. Many years ago I bought a Lucky Bag of LEDs and some were perfectly bright enough at 200 MICRO amps! They were used to show the presence of phantom power at the XLR so economy of juice was important.

*and that is about a 40yr old design. There are far more parsimonious chips about now with better audio performance.

Dave.
    Oh! Wasn't having a pop Sporks! Just that I have had people think LEDs can and do pull 10mA +
    And I have read more than one equipment review where it was said that the LEDs could give you eye damage!

Dave.

If an LED isn't burning a retina 4 miles away, the limiting resistor is too large. ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Here's a fairly comprehensive list of power draw:

https://stinkfoot.se/power-list

GV2 listed at 9mA

That particular Timmy clone isn't there, but the EHX Crayon is listed as 10mA.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.