Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Telecaster Saddles - 6 brass - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Telecaster Saddles - 6 brass

What's Hot
I am soon (hopefully) going to be in the market for a Telecaster. I had a Lite Ash one a number of years back (bought from here but can't remember who from). It was great, but the intonation issues made me change the bridge to a 6-brass saddle on, which solved the issue but kept the tone. 

There is lots of hype around the 3 brass saddles and the tonal "benefit" of them, but intonation is an issue. Ways around this seem to be  strat-type saddles or 3 intonated saddles.

But I've always wondered by Fender don't use 6-brass saddle bridges like G&L do? I know someone with a lovely 70's Telecaster which has them but I never see them on new guitars. 

Is there a reason for it? Some purists don't like the strat type saddles, so surely a good compromise would be 6-brass?

I'm OCD when it comes to intonation so when I am in the market I'm going to have to find one with 6-saddles or 3 intonated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I personally prefer brass saddles - I know some will say they prefer steel - I prefer the set of 3 but compensated accordingly and on that basis have no issue with them - Some call it the Danny Gatton set/style

I've not really noticed before until you mentioned a set of 6 brass - But I'm not a fan of the 70's style 6 step saddles - Always come across as fiddly and rattly to me with less substance about them, so not really noticed any replacement sets in brass

I know for a while Fender have run with 6 Strat style saddles on recent models - Nothing against this, but I just prefer brass and 3 sets, but as I said, compensated accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    edited September 2023
    I think the old style ashtray thing is the Tele sound. I bought a Fender 70h Anniversary Esquier and fitted a set of brass 
     Gotoh "In Tune Brass" saddles they sound great the guitar is perfectly in tune they also keep the strings from moving sideways.
     Hope this helps.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Sounds like you might be after something similar to my lovely old partscaster.
    I believe it is a Mighty Mite.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    The stuff from Armadillo is really good.
    https://www.armadilloguitar.com/product-category/guitar-bridge-plates-saddles/

These square saddles are so much more stable than the six barrel type
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited September 2023
    I bought a set of 3 compensated brass ones from eBay for a Squier Tele, they're great tbh and keep the 3 saddle look too. Cost about £6 which is a bargain really as they're really well made.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I prefer the sound of steel saddles, but I don't mind six of them. I know purists won't agree, but in my opinion it's absolutely not true that you need either three saddles, or brass saddles, for the 'Tele sound'. Any Tele with a proper metal bridge that the pickup is mounted through and a good pickup will sound like a Telecaster. Even without the metal bridge/pickup mount they can sound close, although I think they lack something.

Most compensated saddle sets have an excessive stagger in my experience - it can sometimes be worse than uncompensated ones. The key with uncompensated saddles is to set each one for the sharper of the two strings - B, G and low E - and not halfway between the two correct positions, since a slightly flat string is much less noticeable than a slightly sharp one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I recently took the compensated brass saddles off a Tele I’m selling and put the stock uncompensated saddles back on. I think the intonation was better with the uncompensated ones! So I think there’s something in what @ICBM says here. Although to be honest, the intonation I achieved on both angled and straight saddles were very close (and certainly close enough for rock and roll).

Plenty of replacement 6-saddle vintage style bridges seem to be available, e.g., 
    https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Vintage-Bridge-w-Six-Brass-Saddles-p/arutb0406.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    thermionic said:……..

close enough for rock and roll
    And there is the whole point of the telecaster. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I recently took the compensated brass saddles off a Tele I’m selling and put the stock uncompensated saddles back on. I think the intonation was better with the uncompensated ones! So I think there’s something in what @ICBM says here. Although to be honest, the intonation I achieved on both angled and straight saddles were very close (and certainly close enough for rock and roll).

Plenty of replacement 6-saddle vintage style bridges seem to be available, e.g., https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Vintage-Bridge-w-Six-Brass-Saddles-p/arutb0406.htm
    That's what I put on my old Tele and it was great. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    I have a Wilkinson 3 piece brass compensated saddle set on my HB TE52NA Tele. The intonation is excellent and I like the tone difference too. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)