Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wah pedals - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wah pedals

What's Hot
ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
I pulled out my old Vox V847 last night thinking I might use for our Saturday night covers gig, however a look at our 3 x 45 minute set list showed that there was only one song in there needing a wah (ideally). 

I'm not going to bother now and back in the cupboard it goes again. Wahs are too niche for me obviously. It's nice to have to mess around at home, but I'm not playing the genres where you'd generally find it. It's FOMO I suppose that made me look it out.

Anyone regularly use a wah pedal in a covers band?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• My wah gets used for 2 songs in a 2 hour or so gig - Play That Funky Music (!) and Sweet Child O' Mine. 
    I might occasionally use it for an impro solo elsewhere but that's about it.

Would anyone notice if I didn't have it to hand - probably not.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I pulled out my old Vox V847 last night thinking I might use for our Saturday night covers gig, however a look at our 3 x 45 minute set list showed that there was only one song in there needing a wah (ideally). 

I'm not going to bother now and back in the cupboard it goes again. Wahs are too niche for me obviously. It's nice to have to mess around at home, but I'm not playing the genres where you'd generally find it. It's FOMO I suppose that made me look it out.

use it for 7 songs  in  my  covers band. Set is approx 42 songs so thats not bad.
    originals band I use it in 4 out of  set circa 10-12 songs.

Wah rocks!   use it more. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    edited September 2023
    Yep, 3 songs out of many.  I suppose I could always do the Mick Ronson cocked wah thing on others though.

Thing is, by limiting the usage it makes more impact when you do kick it in.  Otherwise you end up like Kirk Hammett, and everyone makes fun of you.
  • I think wahs are quite versatile for me needs. If Im improvising and a part needs modulation and I don't have a phaser or flanger at the ready, I'll play around with the wah just to change the sound a bit. If I need to solo and want an instant mid boost to stand out in the mix, wah to the rescue. Then there are little transitions like slides or pick scrapes that just sound better to me with a wah. 
  • In a 2 hour set I ‘need’ Wah for about 2 songs, but occasionally I’ll kick it in for various solos. I gigged without it entirely for a while, then realised how much bloody fun it is to use and find it easier to have off-board, powered from a DC out in my tuner, and tucked away in the front pocket of the pedal soft case for transport.

I think if it was a super expensive Wah I’d just sell it, as I did with my EVH Wah, but as it was a really cheap Crybaby I bought off eBay and did loads of mods on I’m happy to cart it along and give it some use!
  • I used mine in about 6 of 32 songs in a gig I think.   Have had one on my board for over 10 years now.  I use a switchless wah so very easy to stomp on it when I Want a quick sweep.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    I’ve got a white cry baby. It was a limited run one I bought about 20 years ago. I spent what at the time was a fortune for me as I was a student. I’ve used it maybe 10 hours in the whole time I’ve had it.  

Edit - I should point out I’m a bedroom dwelling guitarist. I wouldn’t want anyone to have to hear me play. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    There’s a Wah on my board. Only one of the songs in our current set list needs a Wah, but I sometimes kick it in to spice up a solo. It’s also useful for relieving the boredom when playing Get Lucky and similar repetitive songs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Penn said:
    I’ve got a white cry baby. 
    Careful, you're coming across a bit racist there.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cirrus said:
    Penn said:

Just to confirm the pedal is white. 
    IMG_7888.jpeg 1001.1K
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm not a dog lover by any means but that dog is adorable.  Like a real life version of Tin Tin's dog "Snowy"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Yup. @Penn is a handsome chap and a Good Boy no doubt. It's only natural to get a wah to match his fur. Sorry, fwuurrr. :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    I'm not a dog lover by any means but that dog is adorable.  Like a real life version of Tin Tin's dog "Snowy"
    GoFish said:
    Yup. @Penn is a handsome chap and a Good Boy no doubt. It's only natural to get a wah to match his fur. Sorry, fwuurrr.
    Yeah he’s a good little cute dog when he’s not doing stuff like stealing the giant succulent from our window sill and eating it on the sofa. He’s a Sealyham …. Terror.  I mean  Terrier!

edit - sorry for the dog detour. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have an old Morley Wah which I got I  the late 90s. I never use it but for some strange reason can't part with it. I keep hold of if in the hope it might be worth something one day bit realistically I doubt it will be. Do I sell?!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Penn said:
    Cirrus said:
    Penn said:

Just to confirm the pedal is white. 
    Looking at this picture, it looks like it might be a 'Cocked Wah'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I use a switchless wah (Morley Mark Tremonti) for a few songs in a 20 song set list. I’d miss it if it weren’t there. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I've got a Fender wah which I never use because I'm crap at using wah. I certainly wouldn't gig with it.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I pulled out my old Vox V847 last night thinking I might use for our Saturday night covers gig, however a look at our 3 x 45 minute set list showed that there was only one song in there needing a wah (ideally). 

I used to. “Need” is a very subjective term that you can bend to your will!
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • The responses so far to my post mostly confirm that wahs aren't used much these days. However I'm going to take it along on Saturday night anyway. It's a shame for it to languish in a cupboard.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I barely use my wah pedal, but it's a lot of fun when I do so I always take it along just in case...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter