Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Which tens for rock in a 2x10? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Which tens for rock in a 2x10?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
edited September 2023 in Amps
If you were considering a 2x10 cabinet for use in a rock and blues context with a 30 watt head, which ones would you pick?

Don’t need high sensitivity but would like a tight / controlled bottom end and highs that are clear and present but not harsh. Don’t need ‘extra’ mids from the speaker either, the amp is not scooped (Orange). Cab will likely be a Zilla compact with convertible back panel.

Might be run occasionally alongside a 1x12 with Neo creamback or possibly an H magnet cream or greenback.

Almost impossible to answer I guess but thoughts welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Celestion cream 10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't care what anyone says, I quite like the Celestion 10 Thirty. Bland but tight and with a smooth top end.

P10r (alnico) or Emi 1058/10516 for anything with a Fender vibe, not sure with an Orange. Think the Thunder 30 came with a 4x10 cab, might be worth seeing what Orange themselves picked?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Greenback or Creamback 10s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't care what anyone says, I quite like the Celestion 10 Thirty. Bland but tight and with a smooth top end.

P10r (alnico) or Emi 1058/10516 for anything with a Fender vibe, not sure with an Orange. Think the Thunder 30 came with a 4x10 cab, might be worth seeing what Orange themselves picked?
    Orange used G10-40Ls I think…I could get an Orange 4x10 cheap but they weigh 40Kgs + :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Moe_Zambeek said:

Orange used G10-40Ls I think…I could get an Orange 4x10 cheap but they weigh 40Kgs + :)
    G10L-40s are actually quite good - much better than the Tube 10 or the Ten 30 - but not made any more and not that easy to find second hand.

I'd just go for the Greenbacks for a 30W amp though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    I don't think the G10-N40 as fitted to the first HT-5 is too shabby? About a nifty and though not a neo not heavy.

Dave.
  • I really like the WGS ET10, it sits somewhere between the G12-65 and a Greenback. The bass is nice and tight but it feels bigger than a 10" somehow.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• I know it's not the same however I've got two Laney LC15Rs with 10 inch speakers which I use together, one has a Greenback 10 & the other a Gold 10. They sound very nice together, both clean and dirty. If I had to pick one I'd go for the Gold (the Greenback sounds great too) but together they do seem to complement each other.
  • G10L-35 are pretty good at least in quads  Marshall 1965 cabs - versatile enough for my needs. I've not compared them but if I was going for a new speaker the greenback 10s look pretty good. I thought the Gold 10 was too bright for me but I was using a Fender style amp - looking for cleans more than rock tones.
  • So I priced this up from a custom cab company and it comes to exactly the same price as a 212 from Orange that matches the head I’d be using it with. Decisions, decisions! 
    So I priced this up from a custom cab company and it comes to exactly the same price as a 212 from Orange that matches the head I’d be using it with. Decisions, decisions! 
    Unless you need it to be smaller I would get the 2x12". They just sound better, and there are many more options for replacing the speakers if you decide the stock ones aren't what you want.

• PALPAL Frets: 465
    Eminence Red Fang or Ramrod.
  • I ended up buying an orange 212v cab at a decent price, over a ton cheaper than the 2x10 would have been and not hugely heavy, actually the neos sound better in this cab than they do in my closed back 2x12 (which I’ve been trying to sell).
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cream 10s in a diagonal formation oval ported back gives a good blend that sounds great for cleans and hard rock tones IMO
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management