Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). At it again (old computer restoring) - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

At it again (old computer restoring)

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
For my own amusement, and unrelated to The National Museum of Computing where I volunteer.

I got hold of an old Sun IPX workstation, I'll be keeping a blog going as I get it going. Amazingly for a 40year old computer the disc still works (noisily), but I plan to max out the memory and replace the disc with a zuluSCSI SD card drive.

They're a neat lunchbox design, rather than the mahoosive pizza box models that replaced it

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Jalapeno said:
    For my own amusement, and unrelated to The National Museum of Computing where I volunteer.

I got hold of an old Sun IPX workstation, I'll be keeping a blog going as I get it going. Amazingly for a 40year old computer the disc still works (noisily), but I plan to max out the memory and replace the disc with a zuluSCSI SD card drive.

They're a neat lunchbox design, rather than the mahoosive pizza box models that replaced it

Nice, I have to pop over to MK sometime, we have 2 old Sun Servers ( and last year scrapped some really old Risc Computers) 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Please do, always willing to take Sun stuff. We've a lot of SparcStations, not so much Ultras or servers.

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Used a few of those when I was designing silicon chips in university departments in the 90s. I remember a disk dying in one of them, it made a painful whining noise that rapidly got louder and higher pitched, we were expecting to be showered in magnetic shards any second.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow, I haven't seen one of those in a while.  Good luck with the restoration. 
  • oafoaf Frets: 293

Excellent! I am very fond of old Sun gear... and guess what I used to type out this post :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Awesome !

Feedback
  • Your museum is a great place @Jalapeno. I took my lad but he was a bit young at the time to understand everything. The story of Tommy Flowers et al really resonated and made me quite emotional on the day.. some great kit on display too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ta. (Wish it was "mine" ;) )

Feedback
  • Of you're ever in the Shire of Gloucester then this is well worth a visit, retro computing/gaming upstairs, Arcades downstairs.. set in a lovely old mill they really have created a place worth the visit.

https://www.retrocollective.co.uk/index.php
    We've got loads of retro games here as well

Feedback
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Jalapeno said:
    Ta. (Wish it was "mine" ;) )
    If you are a good boy, work very hard & save all your pocket money, then I'm sure that one day it will be yours  :3
  • Jalapeno said:
    We've got loads of retro games here as well
    It does look interesting,  and I have a golf and spa weekend at Woburn in November so might see if we have time.

I am currently refurbing an Atari STfm, I love tinkering 
  • Do the computer museums do any oral history stuff? My Dad started working in computers in 1961 or thereabouts. He would have a few tales to tell. The museum in Cambridge is great but has very little from the early days of business computing, I don't know how much of that tech survives elsewhere.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited September 2023
    Stuckfast said:
    Do the computer museums do any oral history stuff? My Dad started working in computers in 1961 or thereabouts. He would have a few tales to tell. The museum in Cambridge is great but has very little from the early days of business computing, I don't know how much of that tech survives elsewhere.
    RMC have guest speaker events that they then put on YouTube 

• The first Proper servers I worked on where Sun. 4 Socket, (one core per socket) running at 50Mhz, with 128MB of memory, running SAP for about 100 odd users. They always has the best graphical UI compared to HP or IBM servers at the time and great workstation screens.
    The first Proper servers I worked on where Sun. 4 Socket, (one core per socket) running at 50Mhz, with 128MB of memory, running SAP for about 100 odd users. They always has the best graphical UI compared to HP or IBM servers at the time and great workstation screens.
    Interesting the original "Open Windows" from SunOs days doesn't have a lot of love, later Solaris CDE (Commonn Desktop Environment) is a lot easier to use and effectively ended the desire for people to buy Motif window manager.

If I don't run out of enthusiasm I plan to be able to swap SunOs 4.1.4, Solaris 2.5 NetBSD Sparc and possibly Nextstep (just because you can ;) ! ).

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Please do, always willing to take Sun stuff. We've a lot of SparcStations, not so much Ultras or servers.
    Think they are SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi , one had not been rebooted for 8 yrs !!!!!
    “Ken sent me.”