Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD: Plethora X3 - but it's going back - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD: Plethora X3 - but it's going back

What's Hot
TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
edited September 2023 in FX
I was a fairly happy owner of a Plethora X5 for 18 months or so, but last year found me in a "rock" band that meant it couldn't get used the way I wanted to (the band didn't need/want mod sounds and I had a more elegant delay/reverb solution), plus it was just too damn big for the things I did need/want. So I moved it on and went down another path. 

Now, playing in my own band, I'm back using modulation sounds and running out of board space. I've got a Mobius, a TU-3, a HoF 2 Reverb and a Carbon Copy. I can replace all of that with a Plethora X3 and it's not even as big as the Mobius by itself (-ish). The only Mobius sound I won't be able to get that I'm actually using is an autowah that a) I only use on one song and b) am starting to find a bit cheesy and thinking of dropping that tone anyway. 

So, there we go. I'll take a pic of the old board and the new one sometime next week, plus report back on how the transition goes. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh dear..... The Plethora X3 has arrived. Lovely form factor and sounds great (but I expected that, the X5 sounds great too). But there's a problem which means I'm probably returning it. The ES-5 uses a MIDI protocol to send multiple messages that the Plethora does not support.

So if I send 3 CC messages on Ch11 to turn the three effects on or off the Plethora only processes the first one and doesn't recognise the other messages. I've got an Ampero Control that works, but presumably that's because it doesn't use the protocol that Boss is using.

The workable bypass (found by Plethora users) is to get the Plethora to listen to Omni, not a specific channel,  and send each CC msg on a different channel, so it recognises they are separate msgs. And it works. The Plethora is also then listening to PC commands I'm sending to the Ridge and EQ-200 to change presets on them - and trying to load a new Plethora board as a result... Not what I need, so... 

Back to the drawing board. :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’d suggest considering using a Boss MS-3 instead of the ES-5, and utilising some of the internal effects as well as the loop functionality. The inbuilt tuner would also allow you to remove the TU-3 from your board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CarpeDiem said:
    I’d suggest considering using a Boss MS-3 instead of the ES-5, and utilising some of the internal effects as well as the loop functionality. The inbuilt tuner would also allow you to remove the TU-3 from your board.
    Not a bad shout, TBH. 
  • I saw a vid on YouTube about this from pedal platform https://youtube.com/@PedalPlatform?si=qwt92cuUA-vpZaye. I cannot find the exact video whilst on my mobile.  But there might be some content that will help (or might not)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited September 2023
    CarpeDiem said:
    I’d suggest considering using a Boss MS-3 instead of the ES-5, and utilising some of the internal effects as well as the loop functionality. The inbuilt tuner would also allow you to remove the TU-3 from your board.
    All looking really positive for the MS-3, and I started getting excited, until I found out it doesn't support carryover - which I use on the ES-5. Musically, I need to hear my delay/reverb/mod trails when I switch to a different sound. What a shame, but thanks anyway.
  • paulcaye said:
    I saw a vid on YouTube about this from pedal platform https://youtube.com/@PedalPlatform?si=qwt92cuUA-vpZaye. I cannot find the exact video whilst on my mobile.  But there might be some content that will help (or might not)
    Filip does some great videos on Toneprint/Plethora technology.