Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sabbath live in 1970, War Pigs. Holy shyte! - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sabbath live in 1970, War Pigs. Holy shyte!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
Absolute peak Black Sabbath.
These guys were just unhinged. Ward's drumming is just astonishing. What incredible talent.
It's a beautiful thing to see and hear.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Always loved these. Better than the studio recordings imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They made such a great noise together, it's incredible. The drum sound on this is incredible compared to the record.  

There's some great footage of them from 1975 at Santa Monica too but Ozzy had found the stimulants by then. Killer version of Snowblind tho.

Not bad for a bunch of Villa fans, eh?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Superb 

The first two Sabbath albums are virtually live albums so you would expect them to be pretty awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    They made such a great noise together, it's incredible. The drum sound on this is incredible compared to the record.  

There's some great footage of them from 1975 at Santa Monica too but Ozzy had found the stimulants by then. Killer version of Snowblind tho.

Not bad for a bunch of Villa fans, eh?
    Ozzy had found drugs a long time before 1975, he just found different types & took more of everything as he went on  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    edited September 2023
    I didn't appreciate them at the time, but have since corrected my ways.
    The first two albums are great, I take great pride in playing tracks from them very loud when shopping for new bits of HiFi. On one occasion a bunch of people standing out side of the room came into the room to listen along with me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Amazing. They sound absolutely huge.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Early Sabbath is wonderful. They swung like crazy, so much more varied than some of the sludge that followed in their wake. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited September 2023
    That's a great video. 

I am so pleased that Sabbath get the recognition they deserve these days. They truly are a musically and culturally important act- right up there with other truly seminal bands.

And you can FEEL those drums- bloody hell.

You know, I don't think unhinged is the word I'd use for this at all. It is- above all- totally and utterly controlled and professional in the finest sense- the kind of result when you a) have the talent b) have the vision and c) have a rock-solid level of self-confidence in your own performance by doing this stuff to the best of your ability night after night.

Edit- The other bit I'd add is that once you've elevated what you do to that level through practice, hen it allows you to take chances and for those little bits of unexpected magic to enter into what you do. 

• Love it. My fave Sabbath song.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I've loved Sabbath for probably longer than any other band - by love I mean their first 2 albums and then most of the next 4 as well. It's really wonderful to see them get their due as a truly great band - no Godfathers of This or At the Forefront of That or Proto-anything. Just a great band on their own terms.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    Fuck me, talk about synchronicity... Black Sabbath... the Ballet!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Bill is the star of the show, but Ozzy sounds fucking great.  And he seems like he's really there - even if he's not all therenot just shambling around on autopilot shouting "I love you all".
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Bill Ward is just a great drummer - probably the best, in my opinion.
    This guy analyses that video.

• I remember taking three days to download that video during the days of kazaa and limewire. Then YouTube came along and you could watch the Paris performance in full. They were always good live, even at their worst, but those first few years before the drug use really kicked in were glorious. 
    prowla said:
    Bill Ward is just a great drummer - probably the best, in my opinion.
    This guy analyses that video.

He really should have a 'Brums & Coffee' mug.
  • I did see them live in 1970 - at the Royal Festival Hall. That was some show. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter