Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Smelly Jeans - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Smelly Jeans

What's Hot
I bought a new pair of black wash jeans last week. As soon as I got them out of the plastic packaging, there was a really unpleasant, chemically smell. 
I’ve washed them three times… 40 deg for the full 3hr cycle and there’s still the same smell.  Just not very nice.  

Anybody else had this with new jeans? Any tips as to how to get rid of the smell?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Leave it out, in the sun, let UV do it's thing....oh wait.

But my advice is to just leave it out, wear it, it will go away eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    Maybe shit yourself and see if that masks the smell?
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bowks said:
    Maybe shit yourself and see if that masks the smell?
    This definitely works.......a mate told me.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Put them in a sealed bag then in the freezer for 24hrs
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Patchouli. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    merlin said:
    Patchouli. 
    I reckon 99% of people would rather smell of shit than patchouli.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Bowks said:
    merlin said:
    Patchouli. 
    I reckon 99% of people would rather smell of shit than patchouli.
    You're not wrong, that was kind of my point....!  ;)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    It's possibly the smell of the chemicals used in the dye.  Years ago workers at the factory in my area that made clothing for a large fashion chain began going off sick with respiratory and other strange illnesses.  They had previously complained of weird pungent smells from the fabric that was coming in from India or Egypt.  It turned out that the fabric manufacturers were using some kind of formaldehyde based dye.  Are they expensive "brand name" jeans or "everyday own brand" ones?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Are these proper jeans (cotton), or what used to be called leggings (cotton and elastene)?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Are these proper jeans (cotton), or what used to be called leggings (cotton and elastene)?
    Now I can't unsee Rob like this  B)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDL said:
    It's possibly the smell of the chemicals used in the dye.  Years ago workers at the factory in my area that made clothing for a large fashion chain began going off sick with respiratory and other strange illnesses.  They had previously complained of weird pungent smells from the fabric that was coming in from India or Egypt.  It turned out that the fabric manufacturers were using some kind of formaldehyde based dye.  Are they expensive "brand name" jeans or "everyday own brand" ones?
    El cheap everyday jeans.   Formaldehyde? ‘Kin ell.   :o
  • Are these proper jeans (cotton), or what used to be called leggings (cotton and elastene)?
    There is some elastine involved I think.  
  • RobDavies said:
    Are these proper jeans (cotton), or what used to be called leggings (cotton and elastene)?
    There is some elastine involved I think.  

"You say elastine, I say elastene....."

Turns out it's elastane!!! :-)

Finding proper cotton jeans is harder work than parting the Red Sea these days. It infuriates me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Levis used to smell funny when you had to shrink them in the bath.
    Or maybe that was just the bath that ponged.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    Sassafras said:
    Levis used to smell funny when you had to shrink them in the bath.
    Or maybe that was just the bath that ponged.
    I've got a pair of modern 501s, and they smell after a couple days use.

All my other cheap jeans I can wear to work until they can just about stand up themselves, yet they never smell as bad.
  • With a guitar smelling of cigarette smoke the advice to stuff it full of wood shavings seemed to work. Have you thought about going full Worzel on them?
  • Throw them away and never buy them again. Only buy jeans you can smell in the flesh. Much the same as buying guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

My jeans did look like that in the late 80’s.   Usually tucked into a pair of white Hi-Tecs.   :)
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Throw them away and never buy them again. Only buy jeans you can smell in the flesh. Much the same as buying guitars. 
    This.  

I can’t imagine buying jeans online.  Or any clothing outside of shoes in a pinch.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    RobDavies said:

My jeans did look like that in the late 80’s.   Usually tucked into a pair of white Hi-Tecs.   :)
    Aren’t those callers Jeggings (jeans leggings) now?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Smelly Jeans is not my lover.
    She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
    But the skid is not mine, son.
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter