Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Marshall SL-5. Or, 'How Marshall Are Missing A Guaranteed Seller' - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Marshall SL-5. Or, 'How Marshall Are Missing A Guaranteed Seller'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I’d have bought an HT5 if they’d put the bloody knobs on the front.  

Instead, I bought a DSL20C…. And I’m very pleased with it.  I have replaced the speaker with a Greenback, and it’s completely overkill at 20w but it’s pretty damn perfect for my needs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    "I’d have bought an HT5 if they’d put the bloody knobs on the front."
    They are on the head!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    " Instead, I bought a DSL20C…. And I’m very pleased with it.  I have replaced the speaker with a Greenback,"

And that feeds into my contention that some people won't know or care about the speaker and those that do will fit 'better' in their HO.

Meantime, prices are kept in check and (almost!) everyone is happy.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83 said:
    They are on the head!

Dave.

Yeah - but then a head AND a cab wouldn’t fit in the space that I’m ‘allowed’.   ;)
    RobDavies said:
    ecc83 said:
    They are on the head!

Dave.

Yeah - but then a head AND a cab wouldn’t fit in the space that I’m ‘allowed’.   ;)

Yer gonna need a smaller cab!

Dave.
  • HydraHydra Frets: 16
    You'd very suprised by what a good speaker can do for an old MG100DFx. 
    Marshall would do well to release the old Lead 12/20 line with a good and decent size speaker, that will kill a lot or the opposition. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Hydra said:

Marshall would do well to release the old Lead 12/20 line with a good and decent size speaker, that will kill a lot or the opposition. 
    No way they could do it economically today - they’re incredibly over-engineered. They also have problems from a usability point of view for modern players - the gain and volume control tapers are rather odd, and they need to be cranked up to sound their best. I’ve got a Reverb 12 which I fitted with a 12” speaker - currently a G12L-35 - and it sounds great, but it’s not really a good bedroom amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HydraHydra Frets: 16
    ICBM said:
    Hydra said:

No way they could do it economically today - they’re incredibly over-engineered. .
    Is that another way of saying they are well built compared to what qualifies as a "beginner" Marshall these days?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Hydra said:

Is that another way of saying they are well built compared to what qualifies as a "beginner" Marshall these days?
    Yes - although the current MG series are perfectly good, far better than the early-2000s ones. From an economic point of view the 80s ones are actually overdone - you can have reliability and good tone for less cost, even though it’s nice to have the kind of quality they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter