Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WTB - Macbook Pro/iMac - Misc £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WTB - Macbook Pro/iMac

What's Hot
What have you got?
Macbook Pro preferred, but iMacs also considered.

I'd like it to have: (though please get in touch anyway if yours is lower spec as I may like another beater-upper I can chuck in the bag on trips etc...)

16GB RAM minimum
i7, i9, M1, M1 pro etc.
2.5GHz +
500GB SSD minimum

It's to be used for music production and a little video editing from time to time. Mainly music (EDM and live bands).

Budget - up to £1500.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Have you thought about a Mac Mini? I got an M1 with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD for £800 from ebay. Bought a really superb ultra wide monitor s/h for another £300 and it’s a great system for music. It replaced an M1iMac which was also £800 and only had 8GB RAM and a quite pathetic 256Gb SSD! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    been thinking about selling my M1 MBP (14”) and go back to a mini or studio and a cheap air or ipad for low cpu work. let me do some research
  • Bump, still looking
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    Keep an eye on cheshire macs around black friday. I got an insane deal on an M1 pro last year because their black friday code stacked with an existing sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have a 2015 MBP; 13". i7; 16gb ram - although I think these are dual core processors at this age. It has an odd caveat in that I bought it with a BIOS password on it; but this has never bothered me as its on the latest OS it can take anyway.

Not 100% on letting it go just yet (waiting for new iPad Mini announcement) but would be looking around £350 + p&p
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    Buy a new MacMini SSD They work though any screens and monitors.
    John Lewis in the UK offer interest free.
    I use two of them around the place for various music and video related things and one when travelling for music and video related things.
    Keep all my DAW’s on them for easy access .
    MacMini’s are easy to transport and you can walk into any studio in the world and it will work especially if you like Protools Which I don’t. :#