Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD!

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Following hot on the heels of my fairly recent Paul’s Guitar, and my very recent Explorer Jr build comes this marvellous muse:

It’s a Fender Troy Van Leeuwen* Jazzmaster in a glorious oxblood finish. I believe that everything’s all-original, though I won’t have chance to pop the hood and check until tomorrow. The tuning stability seems pretty solid already but these strings are old - the previous owner hadn’t played it much in a fair while apparently… sacrilege! This one has a lovely U profile neck and is pretty light for a JM - possibly under 8lbs?

They’ve been on my GAS-list since their launch, so when this one came up locally on Reverb, @DrBob confirmed that I couldn’t possibly say no to it - the great GAS facilitator that he is!

*guitarist, producer, muso extraordinaire, and all-round cool guy of QOTSA, Iggy Pop, A Perfect Circle, Desert Sessions, Eagles of Death Metal, Enemy, and more

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    I’m just proud to have been able to play my part in this 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That is really rather marvellous! Happy NGD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thats lovely not sure why it is called Ox Blood more like Berry Sparkle lol but looks nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Just love that colour, H N G D .ENJOY.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Wow mate you're on a roll. These things look great, congrats 
  • Thats lovely not sure why it is called Ox Blood more like Berry Sparkle lol but looks nice
    It’s got a lot of movement in different light, I (ox)bloody love it! :love: 
  • Just waiting for @stickyfiddle to drop by and tell me what torty guard it needs now… ;)
  • Classy score GG. Respect. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    That's a-spicy meatball. HNGD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What a beauty! HNGD!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Jazzmasters are not my thing, but I love the block inlays, binding, white/ivory witch hats, the colour and most especially the matching headstock.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Philly_Q said:
    Jazzmasters are not my thing, but I love the block inlays, binding, white/ivory witch hats, the colour and most especially the matching headstock.
    Plus 1 - esp the matching headstock.  A lot of folk don't like matching headstocks but I think they are very cool  (my Daphne Blue Strat and translucent black Pacifica 611 VFM have them).   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Just waiting for @stickyfiddle to drop by and tell me what torty guard it needs now… ;)
    :D 

I'd actually go gold on that one. I've never been a big fan of tort or reds/purples :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    edited September 2023
    Look at the colour of it, just stunning and I love the matching headstock (yes I'm one of those people) HNGD 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Awesome, love how these look. Much better than the newer blonde/butterscotch colour imo. 
  • Thats a lovely colour congratulations.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TTBZ said:
    Awesome, love how these look. Much better than the newer blonde/butterscotch colour imo. 
    Erm… copper? :mrgreen: I quite like those too, but much prefer this one!

@Stickyfiddle - I’m shocked! I’ll likely leave this one stock for a fair while, though it could be a jazzblaster candidate - I already have a wbw guard for a set of WRHBs…
  • Thanks to some dull meetings this AM I gave this a restring and simple cleanup, and fitted a slim neck shim too. The JM didn’t really need it but all of my other guitars have back angled necks so this’ll help me adjust to it a little easier.

I’ve not had a go at the frets yet but they’re a bit dull - plenty of life left in them even though they’re tiny vintage ones. I expect I’ll end up re-fretting this with larger wire if it stays with me past the 6mos honeymoon phase, and potentially flatten the radius down a bit too although I like the 7.25” currently. :)

I’ve had a very quick go plugged in now too and I’m impressed by the AV65 pickups - nicely articulate, not particularly thin sounding, and that tone circuit is actually useful! This is my first JM in ~5/6yrs, and only my second ever but I can instantly see the appeal of them in use.
  • TTBZ said:
    Erm… copper? :mrgreen: I quite like those too, but much prefer this one!

@Stickyfiddle - I’m shocked! I’ll likely leave this one stock for a fair while, though it could be a jazzblaster candidate - I already have a wbw guard for a set of WRHBs…
    Ooooh.... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires