Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Vintage Fender Flame /Esprit1984**Price Drop £1150** Sold Pending. - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Vintage Fender Flame /Esprit1984**Price Drop £1150** Sold Pending.

What's Hot
rainer2859rainer2859 Frets: 272
edited October 2023 in Guitars £
For sale or possible trades is a mint condition Fender Flame.

Guitar is unmarked and comes with the original HSC. Rosewood board has some nice figuring, frets have zero wear.

Guitar has the push pull coil split on the pots, so has a huge variety of tones available.

Any trial/inspection welcome.

Collect, shipping or meet up are all possible options.

Bargain £1250
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/mgRyzat.jpg)
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/XydW386.jpg
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/gh9C8DF.jpg
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/ejj7HMe.jpg
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/opEints.jpg
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/uqVt5rG.jpg)
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    A beaut. Superb guitars.  I have a Strat from the same period with one of those HBs in.
    GLWTS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • These are quite special and rare. Looks amazing.

GLWTS 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks fellas!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    Made by Fujigen Gakki (Ibanez facility) in February 1985.  Same year as my black Flame Standard and the production number isn't far away from your guitar.  I wish I could afford and justify buying your guitar, because I like the cherry sunburst better than the black finish, it's a good price, and it's a lovely guitar.  The Schaller designed humbuckers are great pickups and the guitar is a dream to play.  This kind of "wish list" guitar always comes up when I can least afford it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AJSAJS Frets: 40
    Is the Flame the top of the range ?
  • The Ultra is the top of the range, but not seen one for sale for ages. Think the last one I saw, which is the Robben Ford model, went for £5k +
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Nice guitar there!

The Flame and the Esprit are very slightly different guitar designs but it isn't easy to see unless they are side by side.  The Esprit design, with slightly larger body and longer lower horn, makes it more symmetrical than the slightly asymmetrical Flame.  The Esprit is what evolved into the Robben Ford model.  The Flame and Esprit both came as Standard, Elite, and Ultra models.  The Elite and Ultra models have the coil split functionality as standard.  The Elite and Ultra models were available in a wider variety of  colours than the Standard's Black, Cherry Sunburst and Autumn Burst.

The Flame Elite and Ultra have coil split with a mini toggle switch (pickups are in humbucking mode when used together on coil split), TBX tone control circuitry, and fine adjuster wheels on the tailpiece.  Hardware on all is very good quality Schaller made.  The Standard came with chrome tuners, the Elite had chrome tuners with pearl buttons, and the Ultra had gold tuners with black (ebony) buttons.  The bridge has rollers for fine string spacing adjustment and the individual string anchors on the tailpiece are hinged and follow the angle of the string to the bridge, which is a really good design.  The pickups are slightly "overwound" so they are reasonably "hot" but sound really mellow and lush and never woofy.  They are excellent pickups with great string separation and clarity and the neck pickup rings really nicely unlike most other humbuckers I've played.  It's a very versatile guitar for sounds.

The Standard and Elite have rosewood fretboards with pearl dot and snowflake inlays respectively, while the Ultra has ebony with block inlays.  All have 12" radius fretboards with maple necks, 43.4mm nut, and a 24.75" "Gibson" scale.  This was one of the first production guitars to incorporate "tone chambers" in the body.  It's definitely very resonant unamplified and amplified.  It's not lightweight despite the chambering, but is certainly not in 70s Strat or LP weight territory.  Very comfortable design and neck to body transition.

Somebody do me a favour and buy this before I'm tempted to leave myself broke by submitting to an overpowering desire to have this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great info Bill, thanks. Also, we won’t judge if you crack!!
  • I had a Flame about 10 years ago and aways regretted selling it. This one looks in flawless condition, just wish I had the spare cash. 
  • Are you open to a trade?

• Bump
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited September 2023
    My brother bought one of these from Wishers in 1987. I think it was £250.00 to clear. 

Tonally they don’t sound anything like a Les Paul. My brother was in a sort of alternative 80’s band for a while and played a lot of REM tunes. They have a surprising amount of jangle with some low gain overdrive. A very versatile instrument. 
    edited September 2023
    I'm out, unfortunately.  Unexpected car repair bills have scuppered my very strong desire for this guitar.
  • Paging @HarrySeven ;
    Be seeing you.
  • I'm surprised this is still for sale it looks mint.
  • Me too, absolute bargain now at £1150!