Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pedal with Tremolo which is similar to a Deluxe Reverb - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pedal with Tremolo which is similar to a Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot
Tp200023Tp200023 Frets: 2
I had a deluxe reverb a while back which, in time honoured tradition, I undoubtedly regret selling. Not least as it was a killer amp, but the tremolo was exceptional. 

I’d guess the Strymon Flint is the answer here, but aside from buying a Deluxe Reverb again, does anyone have any suggestions for pedals which nail that tremolo (and reverb, for that matter) effect?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I believe the Mr Black Deluxe plus is supposed to be pretty good (not had the opportunity to try one myself), but may be worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    The Mr Black is excellent - if you want something with a little bit more flexibility (two kinds of reverb & two kinds of tremolo) the Keeley Verb O Trem is worth a peek too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited September 2023
    Outrageous shout - Dano Tuna Melt trem is VERY good at this! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Outrageous shout - Dano Tuna Melt trem is VERY good at this! 
    Yes, because it’s an optical circuit. I had the Tuna Melt and now have the Cool Cat Trem which I suspect is the same circuit - as is the Filthy Rich, most likely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Fulltone
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    Keeley Hydra
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure if the Deluxe Reverb works in that way, but some amp trems modulate the power section of the amp and nothing you can put into the front will give you that sound. 

The Flint is a very nice pedal though.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Jam Chill for me, after having a bunch of trems. It seems to go under the radar, but it's superb.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    The Origin effects 61 Deluxe is the obvious suggestion and is very good. But the trem is not independent from the drive, which I found a bit annoying. 

For a straight ahead trem the Fulltone is hard to beat.
  • I'm not sure if the Deluxe Reverb works in that way, but some amp trems modulate the power section of the amp and nothing you can put into the front will give you that sound. 

This is bias trem and I don't think the '65 deluxe has that.
    Fishboy7 said:
    The Origin effects 61 Deluxe is the obvious suggestion and is very good. But the trem is not independent from the drive, which I found a bit annoying. 

The Origin 61 is again a bias trem, hence the need for the drive section. 

The Fulltone on the other hand isn't and is very well liked. @Wazmeister did a shoot out some time ago and he liked the Fulltone over the others.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited September 2023
    I'm not sure if the Deluxe Reverb works in that way, but some amp trems modulate the power section of the amp and nothing you can put into the front will give you that sound. 

This is bias trem and I don't think the '65 deluxe has that.
    Fishboy7 said:

The Origin 61 is again a bias trem, hence the need for the drive section. 

The Fulltone on the other hand isn't and is very well liked. @Wazmeister did a shoot out some time ago and he liked the Fulltone over the others.
    I believe the Tuna Melt and the Fulltone are both related/copies of the Demeter Tremulator.

I liked the other Danelectro trems less than the tuna melt, FYI. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I’ve had the Mr Black, the Keely Verb o Trem the Fender Tre Verb, the flint and a White Whale. 

The White Whale was the best, the Mr black and keeley were more fiddly as single pedal for both and both added a level of gain.  The tre verb was just as good as the flint for less money so what I would probably buy again. 

The actual answer is get a Princeton 65 reissue (or the modded 68 on here). Much better than a DR! : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I have a Fulltone supa trem jr listed in the classifieds incidentally 
  • Imho, trem is actually a difficult pedal to use, especially 'live'...

Some amp trems, eg) Lazy J, can have quite a 'thump' to them.

I think the Flint is one of the most neutral trems; lacks a bit of character for me, but probably would work really well live.

The Delta Trem adds that 'deep South' kinda feel, which for some strange reason is the sound in my head. Maybe being bought up on the Southern Comfort movie influences me (?).

The Fulltone (all of them) are superb and probably my overall fave now. 
    As @jellybelly notes, the full tone is largely based up the Demeter (another great trem), which I believed Ry Cooder used.
  • The Empress Tremolo does a very good job - I have a DRRI and actually prefer the pedal. 
  • Lots of suggestions for tremolo pedals without the reverb here. I'm not sure that's what you want but I may as well alert you to the dual tremulator being advertised by @Jeebas, in case of interest, considering the Demeter was mentioned:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236623/fs-tonall-recall-warped-vinyl-2-walrus-demeter-dawner-prince-zvex-catalinbread-jdm-bmf-ckk/p1
  • Boss FDR-1 ? I had one and tried it up against a mint condition 1966 Deluxe Reverb.  It was very very close.
  • The Fulltone Supatrem 2 is very, very amp-like. If you turn the depth right down it also acts as a fantastic clean boost.
  • I'm not sure if the Deluxe Reverb works in that way, but some amp trems modulate the power section of the amp and nothing you can put into the front will give you that sound. 

Deluxe Reverb is opto trem, the circuit is before the power section so probably easier to get close to compared to the bias trem, which affects the output of the power tubes.

Princeton Reverbs are bias trem.  I think the handwired Deluxe Reverb changed to bias trem.

But yeah, I don't thinkl you can ever truly replicate the bias trem by putting an effect infront of an amp.
  • JeebasJeebas Frets: 105
    Lots of suggestions for tremolo pedals without the reverb here. I'm not sure that's what you want but I may as well alert you to the dual tremulator being advertised by @Jeebas, in case of interest, considering the Demeter was mentioned:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236623/fs-tonall-recall-warped-vinyl-2-walrus-demeter-dawner-prince-zvex-catalinbread-jdm-bmf-ckk/p1

@Tp200023 Happy to send you some tracks recorded with the Demeter Dual Tremulator if you'd like to hear it in action.
  • The Source Audio Vertigo is good - the bias tremolo on it is really nice
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Fender Treverb does Opto and Bias in the Fender style (the harmonic trem is a bit underwhelming on this though, maybe you need to use the stereo outs to get the best out of it but I've never tried)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Boss FDR-1 ? I had one and tried it up against a mint condition 1966 Deluxe Reverb.  It was very very close.
    The biggest problem with this pedal is that the tremolo isn't switchable separately - you can only have it with the amp emulation, and turning off the pedal turns off both together. Really stupid - along with not having a speaker-emulated output, and having the knobs in a really awkward fiddly arrangement - I also found it difficult to set the tremolo depth just right, the pot taper was very abrupt.

The Fender Tre-Verb looks like it should do the job, although I haven't yet tried one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    Voodoo Labs Tremolo ?
    • Authentic lamp and photocell tremolo circuit
  • Has anyone tried the surfy industries surfy trem ??
  • I’d try to reply to all of these in line and I’d probably fail miserably! Really appreciate the help - plus the primer (always still learning!) on how trem works with power amps (as well as the difference between difference fender amps/years - thanks @menamestom ). ;

I fear (!) the suggestion from @munckee was the best “worst” idea I’ve come across so far, but there’s lots here to research - not least because I’ve now got a better idea now of why I liked what I had previously! 

• +1 for the Fulltone supa trem
  • Strymon Flint / Keeley Hydra all day
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter