Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fuzz Face Newbie - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fuzz Face Newbie

What's Hot
rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 16
edited September 2023 in FX
I'm interested in trying a fuzz for the first time in 40 years. Back then, no one told me you really need to use one with a breaking-up amp. All I had was a solid state  amp that was a clean as clean is possible to be. The result was a bag of wasps and I've hated fuzz ever since. I recently saw a really old TPS episode where they use a fuzz into a Marshall and a Twin Reverb - they were really showing that a fuzz needs to be mateched to an amp. As soon as I heard the fuzz in the Twin I sat up and recognised that sound - and understood why it's such a bad match. In fact I think Mick said exactly the same and had been put-off fuzz for the same reasons.

Anyway. I'm looking at trying fuzz and thinking a simple Dunlop Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix Mini (FFM3) would be a good place to start. In particular I'm interested in using it to wind the Strat volume back to get the classic Fuzz Face clean sounds into a Marshall-esque amp.

This wouldn't be a core sound for me, I'm looking to dip my toe safely into the Fuzz pool :-)

At this stage I really don't want to go down the boutique Fuzz Face rabbit hole.

Other possibles are FF2 Germanium or the MXR 108 Fuzz - all roughly based on the Dunlop FF circuit.

Will a Silicon FF still do the classic glassy FF clean, or do you really need to go Germanium. I'm using a Fender Strat, low output pickups but it does have a treble bleed.

Any thoughts or advice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Dunlop JHF1, the classic fuzz face,
    Stupidly shaped and huge but it's my favourite.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Dunlops and MXR are great options and get plenty of love.

Boutique but not boutique prices... you could perhaps look at the Fredric Effects Duo Face, Foxrox CC Hybrid 2 (in stock at Joe's Pedals) or a Chase Tone direct from the States. 

Just some ideas, by all means try the Dunlop(s) first. Have fun  :)
  • I’ve been around the houses with fuzz and have finally  sacked it off. I can’t make it translate to record. However, if you’re after amazing FFs, Analogman is where it’s at (imo and experience). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    edited September 2023
    TPS at its best! This fuzz video from 20:00 in, I'm not actually sure I can put into words how amazing this tone is! But if I did it would start with ooooof! This made me hunt down a few FF circuits style pedals.

I loved the Suhr Rufus Reloaded pedal but ended up falling for a Expressofx Mojo fuzz which is just epic with HOF and an analogue delay. 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    Dunlop JHF1, the classic fuzz face,
    Stupidly shaped and huge but it's my favourite.

Anyone new to fuzz faces should get this first. 

It's excellent value and sounds fantastic and is a great base for you decide what sort of flavour of fuzz face you want if this isn't quite working in your setup. 

I currently have a love a Sonus Jimi Mod 68 NKT germanium fuzz but it doesn't objectively sound better than this, just a bit more suited to my current needs. I'd have another of these in a heartbeat. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    I’ll third the above large jhf1.  As for fuzz into fender amps there are times I do enjoy the more brittle sound with humbuckers atleast as it kinda gives off a Strat vibe.  But just run a od after it to thicken it all up.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited September 2023
    Will a Silicon FF still do the classic glassy FF clean, or do you really need to go Germanium. I'm using a Fender Strat, low output pickups but it does have a treble bleed.

Any thoughts or advice?
    I'd need to hoke out my Mooer silicon one to check for sure, but I think silicon should work fine for rolling off the volume- it's more about the tone you want, germanium is a bit warmer, silicon a bit harsher. But that's not to say either is better- much like you said about the matching to the amp in your post, it's really a matter of which sounds best for the sound you want, and the sound of the rest of your gear. With a darker amp setting, silicon might well be "better", for example, and germanium might be too murky-sounding.

You really don't want a treble bleed, though- one of the reasons why fuzz faces are said to "clean up" so well is that they clean up really well *without* a treble bleed. If you have a treble bleed in your guitar, odds are it'll sound too thin and brittle when you roll off the volume on the guitar with the fuzz face turned on. (Other really old school vintage circuits like a Rangemaster treble booster, Colorsound Overdriver etc. do the same.)
    edited September 2023
    The cleanup is less to do with silicon vs germanium and more to do the gain range of the transistors and si ones tend to be higher gain. The Jimi one recommended cleans up well. 

I cut the treble bleed out of my guitar once i got into fuzzes. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    soma1975 said:
    (a) The cleanup is less to do with silicon vs germanium and more to do the gain range of the transistors and si ones tend to be higher gain. The Jimi one recommended cleans up well. 

(b) I cut the treble bleed out of my guitar once i got into fuzzes. 
    (a) That could well be it 

(b) I started putting them on a push-push switch on the guitars I tend to use with a fuzz face (or rangemaster). I still pretty much need a treble bleed when I don't use those pedals, which is kind of annoying.

• I’ve just ordered a Chasetone Fuzz Fella blue, BC108.
    They seem well regarded and reasonably priced.
    I thought the extra tweakability and more pedalboard friendly shape would be useful, compared than the Hendrix mini ffm3.
    The dunlops do look super cool though.

https://chasetone.com/fuzz-fella-blue-bc108c/
    Had one of those it's a really great pedal with lovely cleanup. 

I thought the extra tweakability and more pedalboard friendly shape would be useful, compared than the Hendrix mini ffm3.

I was looking at that pedal, it gets good reviews.

I'd be interested in your thoughts when you get it.

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    I can vouch for the MXR 108 Classic Fuzz. Basically a Fuzz Face with the convenience of a 9v input and a switchable buffer. 

It’s a good fuzz. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

How did you get on with the Fuzz Fella?

I've also been looking at the SolidGoldFX 'If 6 was 9" - any comments from anyone?

Yep I have had that one - the BC183 one. Mk1

Jesus I have had ALL the fuzz faces. Everything except a 60s original and a Dustin Francis I reckon. And an Isle of Tone but they don't count. 

Anyway the If6was9 was very good. In reality probably not as good as he big box Hendrix fuzz for clean up but far more compact and again, the 'not as good' for my rig may well be the 'ah that's just right' for yours. I'd say I preferred the Fuzz Fella BC108 but they are certainly in the same ballpark. 

Buy with confidence they are a great company. 

• If you can find one, a Magnetic Effects White Atom is a hybrid germanium/silicon Fuzz Face style circuit, I'm led to believe. Well worth seeking one out! It's also one of the most recommended fuzz pedals I've seen for those new or looking to start out with fuzz.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922

I've also been looking at the SolidGoldFX 'If 6 was 9" - any comments from anyone?

Still waiting.  I ordered from Sweden.

Got to the UK pretty quickly but it seems to have been sat in my local sorting office since Saturday.
  • I hated fuzz for years too but tried a few out to see what I liked. I got a Magnetic Effects Black Moon and plugged into a clean Blues Deluxe it's glorious! 
  • On my board at the moment I am using a Wampler velvet fuzz. I use it in a boss LS2 loop so I can kick in my Wampler Tumnus at the same time. So this way, if I want more cut or volume when I kick in the fuzz loop, I can adjust this with my Tumnus. Obviously this can be done with various pedals in a loop, but these particular two work great for me.
       I also own a Jimi C fuzz face I bought off Soma here. It’s by far the best fuzz pedal I’ve owned and beats the crap out of my Analogman sun face I have.
    I do miss that pedal. Was definitely a special one. Glad you like it. 

Still waiting.  I ordered from Sweden.

Got to the UK pretty quickly but it seems to have been sat in my local sorting office since Saturday.
    I've been to the local sorting office, looks like they have lost it.  It was scanned in but not scanned out, but it's not there now.
    The guy just said they have had staffing issues and I need to make a claim.

So unless it turns up today, back to the drawing board for me.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @menamestom ah that's bad luck. They may find it.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    @menamestom ah that's bad luck. They may find it.

And find it they did....Eventually.

Only used it into my Stomp but first impressions.

Gain Control is a bit fussy, gain from medium to high along the last part of the travel.

Volume level is not very high, so when you kick it in, it doesn't boost the signal even on full volume and nearly full gain.

Sounds great into my Protein Drive BB side.

I need to try it through the amp, seem quirky but I think there's a great sound in there.
    edited October 2023
    You've pretty much described most fuzz faces there. 

With the fuzz control set it so it's as gainy as can be before the noisy insanity kicks in, and then dial back your guitar volume control from hopefully clean at around 5 to chimney then OD them full on as you wind it up 

You won't get a volume boost if you are already going into something that has run out of headroom and is compressing, like a drive pedal with the gain up. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    If you can find one, a Magnetic Effects White Atom is a hybrid germanium/silicon Fuzz Face style circuit, I'm led to believe. Well worth seeking one out! It's also one of the most recommended fuzz pedals I've seen for those new or looking to start out with fuzz.
    Not going to comment on its Fuzz Faceness but I can confirm that the White Atom is a terrific pedal in its own right which covers a wide range of sounds from sputtery spitty nastiness to smoother,much more conventionally musical and that using the guitar.volume pedal gives a more “overdrivey” effect - I don’t think I’ve ever actually tried the Strat with the volume backed right off into a Marshall thing though, and I really should…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    soma1975 said:
    You've pretty much described most fuzz faces there. 

With the fuzz control set it so it's as gainy as can be before the noisy insanity kicks in, and then dial back your guitar volume control from hopefully clean at around 5 to chimney then OD them full on as you wind it up 

You won't get a volume boost if you are already going into something that has run out of headroom and is compressing, like a drive pedal with the gain up. 
    Yeah it's my first FF so wasn't sure what to expect.  Aparently the other 2 Chase Tone Fuzz Faces (Red and Teal), don't have the same lack of volume issue.  I need to try it with my amp really.  I did have a Benson Fuzz which was really nice, had lots of volume, but not enough gain, so needed a gain boost.   This has plenty of gain, but needs a volume boost.
    Or like you say just use the volume, I'll try that a bit through the amp.  It does clean up well.