Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Katana Mods- combo to head with a twist! - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Katana Mods- combo to head with a twist!

What's Hot
On watching a recent Andertons Katana Artist review I realised that that the think that annoys me about my Mk1 100 (1x12) is that the controls are on the top, rather than the front, as per the artist. I'm thinking about changing it from a combo to a head with controls at the front. A few people on guitars forum have changed Katanas from a combo to a head but kept the controls on top. I'm wondering if I would need to re-position the heat sink which would be under the board if i flip the head. I'm not sure I've really noticed it getting very hot but would want to avoid frying the amp. Has anyone done this mod this way? if so, did you move the heatsink or leave it and pray. Thanks in advance for any advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• You could just keep an eye out for a 2nd hand artist - they don't seem to go for very much?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I think it's unlikely that having the heatsink underneath would be an issue as long as there's still some ventilation. That said, finding a second hand Artist head is probably both less bother, and better.

For what it's worth I don't understand this regressive fashion for putting the controls on top either, it should be left where it belongs... in the 1950s. Leo Fender got it right in 1960 with the first blonde/brown amps, and by the 90s most amp companies had realised it was the right place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    For what it's worth I don't understand this regressive fashion for putting the controls on top either, it should be left where it belongs... in the 1950s. Leo Fender got it right in 1960 with the first blonde/brown amps, and by the 90s most amp companies had realised it was the right place.
    It's pretty obvious why Boss did it, not sure about anyone else.

The market for the regular Katana isn't "pros" so much as beginners or even any home player who mostly has their amp sat on the floor next to them, so top-mounted controls are better for that specific application.

However the Artist was aimed more at "pros" who like the Katana sounds but didn't like the cheap speaker, and as it's more aimed at the pro market, it gets the front mounted controls.

I'd love a Katana Artist personally, just actually use my regular old Mk1 50 so rarely, can't justify the spend.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    ICBM said:
    I think it's unlikely that having the heatsink underneath would be an issue as long as there's still some ventilation. That said, finding a second hand Artist head is probably both less bother, and better.

At least they are not on the back, at the bottom.    Not sure why anyone ever thought that was a good idea.

I nearly picked up a Trace Elliot Velocette again recently but qiickly decided I would never use it over the other amps that don't need me to rearrange the room to use them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the comments so far. I agree it might be easier/better just buying an artist model but don't have that sort of dosh around just now. I do however have time and tools to make something though... I've just had a look at the combo again. The heatsink sits in front of the amp control unit and appears to only have some slit vents underneath it. That suggests to me it either doesn't get that hot, or just doesn't need much cooling. I'm hoping I can make something with the same footprint so it can sit nicely on top of the combo case -I might just be the only person in the country (maybe the planet) that doesn't mind the original speaker! For acoustic and electric home use its fine to my old ears! 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    100 watt Mk1 head also has a 5 inch speaker hidden under the front grille cloth, which influences the placement of the controls somewhat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy_k said:
    100 watt Mk1 head also has a 5 inch speaker hidden under the front grille cloth, which influences the placement of the controls somewhat.
    Funny you should say that - I was just thinking about putting a small speaker in my build as per the normal hundred head. From some images I think it’s 5’’ 8 ohm 40W - not sure