Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Boomers, MIA and MIJ. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Boomers, MIA and MIJ.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Was thinking about how I still prefer MIA and MIJ guitars (prob amps too) when I absolutely know that guitars with more consistent quality (traditionally speaking than MIA) and cheaper (than MIJ) are being made in, what have long been considered as, countries which produce budget instruments.

So I was born in 79, which *just* makes me Gen X.

The pinnacle of guitars played by the guys I grew up listening to were all US and Japanese like Jackson, Ibanez, ESP,  EBMM, Anderson etc.

I looked down on the likes of LTD and Schecter Diamond series which I reckon were the brands that really kicked off the mid range metal guitar thing.

Fast forward to now and there are tons of "import" (meaning Korean, Chinese and Indonesian) ranges with artist sigs that have no US or Japanese "premier" model.

Perhaps MIA and MIJ will cease to be a major concern. Perhaps it already has.

And thus Gen X became the new Boomers, except we replaced 50-60s Fenders, Gibsons and Marshall's with the aforementioned brands and 80s-90s Marshalls, Boogies and Peaveys?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Doesn't matter where it's made if it's any good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    As a 69 X’er I say death before Boomer and the only thing I care less about than where my guitar was made is where yours came from ;)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Boomer here (1960)!

I’ve certainly had a preference for US-made instruments and seen them as something to aspire to, but I also have some nice Japanese and Mexican instruments. Until recently I would have avoided Chinese-made instruments on the basis that they couldn't possibly be regarded as meeting a 'professional' standard, but in the last few weeks I've acquire two fantastic Chinese-made Dingwall basses that have very much changed my mind.

Not sure what my point is, but if you address me with the words 'OK Boomer' it will not upset me in the slightest!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 238
    I haven't found any better 'bang for the buck' than my MiJ FGNs....
    and I've had guitars made in: Germany, US, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Mine are from the UK, US, Japan and Korea, but German gear is great too.

Peerless and Moollon in Korea... Nuff said.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter