Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dumb question about daisy chain cables - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dumb question about daisy chain cables

What's Hot
Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
If you have a stupidly long daisy chain cable and wish it was shorter, can you just snip off the last bit of cable (and outputs) that you don't need?  And if you do, then should you solder the exposed plus and minus together to complete the circuit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    You certainly shouldn't solder the positive and ground together; that will short circuit the entire daisy chain and risks damaging the power supply.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If you have a stupidly long daisy chain cable and wish it was shorter, can you just snip off the last bit of cable (and outputs) that you don't need?  And if you do, then should you solder the exposed plus and minus together to complete the circuit?
    The exact opposite. The positive and negative must not be connected or you will short out the supply as Sporky said.

If it's a standard coaxial cable and you cut straight across it very cleanly - a razor blade is better than wire-cutters - then the two cores won't touch. It's best to cut as close as possible to the last connector you need so there's no risk of the exposed end touching anything else.

If it's a side-by-side cable rather than coax it's less critical, but still best to make sure the cut ends can't touch anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Triffik. Thanks, gentlemen.  One pair of scissors, one snip. Couldn't be easier.

A bit like being a vet, I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Don't do it with it plugged in!

Also if you can, just bundle the ends up and ziptie them. You might need them later, and it saves any risk.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    I cut one a bit shorter than the other, so there's no chance of them touching.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.