Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). When Nuts fall off............... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

When Nuts fall off...............

What's Hot
Hello!

My Japanese made Tokai "ES335" had a nut disaster as I was changing the strings removing them all to have a good clean.

The nut fell off. Never had this on any guitar in 20 years. So is normal wood glue going to be fine for the reattachment oris something else going to be better?

I am considering selling it on so this needs sorting!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Wood glue is fine, or 2 small drops of superglue.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If you're using superglue, make sure it's *exactly* in the right place as you put it into position - you don't get a lot of time to move it sideways if it's not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I normally slacken the strings just enough to pull something down under the strings towards the end of the fretboard so that it lifts them just high enough to slide the nut in and out.  That saves you from lifting strings individually, and immediately you have located the nut you can slide the object back down towards the body and you have string tension on the nut to hold it in place, but not so much tension that makes it impossible to do minor last-minute adjustments to the nut before the glue sets.  I use a rectangular plastic rod with rounded off corners that lifts the strings enough when in portrait mode, and a quick twist to drop it to landscape mode makes it easier to slide back out.  Anything like a thin socket wrench extension would do though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    Hi all, apologies! Was really ill for a couple of weeks and work got interesting.

I think I will be very careful with superglue! I am going to restring it anyway to give a more thorough clean as it is going to be heading out the door.

Thanks for the advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• First thing i thought of =0
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life