Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Andy Taylor - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Andy Taylor

What's Hot
I've not checked if anyone else has posted on this so apologies if any duplication.

Just heard this track for the first time and my Gast has been flabbered:

If this is what he's working on these days then count me in ... right up my back alley .... it's like I'm back in Nashville.

Anyone heard the whole album? I think I'll just download it now.

I've never been a Duran Duran fan but always rated his bass-playing ability ... this takes my view of him to a whole new level :+1: 

Hope y'all enjoy it too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Wasn't John the bass player? Andy was the guitar player iirc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I heard a track on the radio. Andy (the guitarist) left DD quite a long time ago, don't know what he's been up to. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Apologies ... I'm a confused old crusty ... I got my Taylors mixed up :anguished: 

It's even more embarrassing because I saw him on BBC recently

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66471529
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    I know he handled producer duties after Duran Duran for Thunder but the poor guy has prostate cancer and isn't in a good way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Duran Duran were all under-rated musicians. John has been getting more recognition for some time now, but Andy was always a good guitarist too - before he joined Duran he was a big Gary Moore fan and could play like him apparently, but equally capable of playing just for the song when that was needed.

I've listened to a couple of tracks from this now and it sounds great - very modern and varied. I'll have to buy it...

I've known for a while about his health, but it sounds slightly less bad now than it did recently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just having a listen. Quite a mixed bag so far. I like Getting It Home.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    We always knew he was a good guitarist in Duran Duran, just listen back 
  • As John says, the whole band were/are great musicians, I shall look forward to hearing this!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I heard him interviewed on the radio recently and he said his health has improved to the extent that he can at least look forward to the next couple of years, which is good news.

The new song's not for me but I've got an album of cover versions he recorded years ago which has some good stuff (although it does unfortunately include Mustang Sally).
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I still listen a lot to his first solo record, Thunder, which is very 80's guitar, in a good way.
    Steve Jones was involved too, but I think they clashed over it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    andy_k said:
    I still listen a lot to his first solo record, Thunder, which is very 80's guitar, in a good way.
    Steve Jones was involved too, but I think they clashed over it.

Oh yeah, I've got that one too, but on vinyl - I forgot it was there.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    ICBM said:
    Duran Duran were all under-rated musicians. John has been getting more recognition for some time now, but Andy was always a good guitarist too - before he joined Duran he was a big Gary Moore fan and could play like him apparently, but equally capable of playing just for the song when that was needed.

I've listened to a couple of tracks from this now and it sounds great - very modern and varied. I'll have to buy it...

I've known for a while about his health, but it sounds slightly less bad now than it did recently.
    I think they’re all on the new album, Danse Macabre
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    I heard him described by his band mates as 'Gary Moore meets George Benson'.

I always thought his DD parts were always interesting and well thought out, as were his sounds.

I forgot that's him taking the solo on Robert Palmer's 'Addicted to Love'

*Edited the typos*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Kebabkid said:
    I heard him described by his bandmaster as 'Gary Moore meets George Benson'.
    I always remember an early Duran Duran live review, circa Planet Earth, which said something like "apart from his haircut Andy Taylor could very easily be a Tyger of Pan Tang".
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:
    I always remember an early Duran Duran live review, circa Planet Earth, which said something like "apart from his haircut Andy Taylor could very easily be a Tyger of Pan Tang".
    Well, they were all Whitley Bay lads so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a link  ;)

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Well, they were all Whitley Bay lads so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a link  ;)

Holy crap!  Tygers Of Pan Tang - now there's a name I don't think I've heard for a very long time!
  • 20 years after reforming in 1999 and still going strong :astonished: 

Still a good sound that IMHO :+1: