Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD - ‘98 PRS Custom 22 - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD - ‘98 PRS Custom 22

What's Hot
After starting the cull of underused gear and promising myself I’ll not buy anything until all the rest have gone, I failed.

Spotted this for sale close to me at exactly the amount I had in my funds.  
All my favourite specs, Vintage Yellow, stoptail, 22 frets, moons. About the most understated PRS you can find. 
Original owner bought it in the late 90’s, from Gruhn’s whilst on holiday in Nashville.
Sounds great, feels great, covers a humbucker shaped hole in my gear (I even quite like the neck pickup
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Congrats! I've had a couple of mid-90s Cu22s and they really are fantastic guitars and that one looks like an absolute classic!

Yours has an interesting mix of specs - those rounded-corner humbucker covers suggest it might still have Dragon 1s as they used the same ones on McCarty pickups of that era, but D1s are normally uncovered so have a look underneath and see what they say on the tags. Otherwise that's the first set of Dragon II pickups I can recall seeing with the rounded types :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congrats! I've had a couple of mid-90s Cu22s and they really are fantastic guitars and that one looks like an absolute classic!

Yours has an interesting mix of specs - those rounded-corner humbucker covers suggest it might still have Dragon 1s as they used the same ones on McCarty pickups of that era, but D1s are normally uncovered so have a look underneath and see what they say on the tags. Otherwise that's the first set of Dragon II pickups I can recall seeing with the rounded types :)
    I’ll lift one out next time I’m restringing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Nice and unfussy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Good score, best combo all round.....22 frets....stoptail and Vintage with moons. Perfect! 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Guitars are funny things, aren't they - in no other context could I think of yellow as being understated, but I absolutely agree with you here. Not a showy PRS at all, love it.
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I far prefer trems and toggle switches, but that's really nice. Just the right amount of flame to not look over the top.

I've owned about six PRSs so far and not yet one single bird :).

I had a '97 Custom 22 in purple faded to pink which I miss a bit. (Although not as much as my '02 Standard 22.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This will sort the vintage yellow:

Etc. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    After starting the cull of underused gear and promising myself I’ll not buy anything until all the rest have gone, I failed.

Spotted this for sale close to me at exactly the amount I had in my funds.  
    All my favourite specs, Vintage Yellow, stoptail, 22 frets, moons. About the most understated PRS you can find. 
    Original owner bought it in the late 90’s, from Gruhn’s whilst on holiday in Nashville.
    Sounds great, feels great, covers a humbucker shaped hole in my gear (I even quite like the neck pickup
    Congrats, great score and looks fab!  <3

My 2002 PRS Cu24 is also vintage yellow & my main gigging guitar.  Could be 'brothers in arms'.   

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I know you are not a dentist 
    or a doctor
    but we both know it is a mighty fine acquisition 
    enjoy it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I love it. Really like pickup covers when they are that aged Matt colour & not bright shiny nickel.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Very nice! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to