Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Facebook marketplace scam - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Facebook marketplace scam

What's Hot
Just a heads up for marketplace users…

Had several messages about some gear I’m selling where the buyer has offered to pay via PayPal then arrange for their wife/sister to collect. You then receive an email from “PayPal” saying the payment has been blocked because it exceeds your limit. There’s then further instructions to follow which I assume is where they hack your account. 

One of them looked pretty genuine until I checked the email address which was from a gmail account. 

Hopefully this might prevent others from getting scammed. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Just a heads up for marketplace users…

Had several messages about some gear I’m selling where the buyer has offered to pay via PayPal then arrange for their wife/sister to collect. You then receive an email from “PayPal” saying the payment has been blocked because it exceeds your limit. There’s then further instructions to follow which I assume is where they hack your account. 

One of them looked pretty genuine until I checked the email address which was from a gmail account. 

Hopefully this might prevent others from getting scammed. 
    The clue is always in the vagueness of messages. you can spot them a mile off, never refereing to the item specifically etc. 

I just have fun wasting their time now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Never had any before then three or four came along at once lol. Did have some fun with the last one...

Her: What is you paypal info?

Me: Will you be collecting or your sister?

Her: My sister.

Me: How will I recognise her? I don't want to give it to the wrong person.

Her: I will message you once she got to your side.

Her again: What is your paypal info so I can make payment now.

Me: OK great. Does she know what I look like? Does she know what's she's collecting? Does she like tea? I make a lovely cup of tea if she's got time for a brew.

I'm still waiting for a response. Maybe she prefers coffee?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Never had any before then three or four came along at once lol. Did have some fun with the last one...

Her: What is you paypal info?

Me: Will you be collecting or your sister?

Her: My sister.

Me: How will I recognise her? I don't want to give it to the wrong person.

Her: I will message you once she got to your side.

Her again: What is your paypal info so I can make payment now.

Me: OK great. Does she know what I look like? Does she know what's she's collecting? Does she like tea? I make a lovely cup of tea if she's got time for a brew.

I'm still waiting for a response. Maybe she prefers coffee?
    What youll get now is a email of a 'screen shot' of the payment pending in paypal. But because theres an issue, its not showing in your paypal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter