Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sorted: What capo now? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sorted: What capo now?

What's Hot
TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
edited September 2023 in Guitar
So, I left my G7 capo at a solo showcase session last night. I doubt it'll have been handed in or be where I left it, so I'm probably buying a replacement today.

Primarily used on acoustic, but also the odd use on an electric. 

What's the capo of choice these days? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    G7
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Kyser

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shubb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    G7
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    I have a G7, 2 Shubb ...and a cheap (like £1.99!) black anodised aluminium (but come in different colours) quick release one that I got free with something or other, but is remarkably good, is my everyday 'go to' & is just the easiest to use.... and at this price you can have spares everywhere & not worry if you lose one.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115484142860

Picture 1 of 9
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    I have every version of the G7 performance they made and it’s a great capo but I think the Planet Waves NS is probably the best I have.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Something more characterful 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386063633213
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Voxman said:

Picture 1 of 9
    You only need to use one at a time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shubb are well made. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I like the Shubb although some people seem to hate them for some strange reason.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I have had loads of different ones, my current favourite is the G7th Newport.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Sassafras said:
    I like the Shubb although some people seem to hate them for some strange reason.
    I don't hate them, and I did use them for years, but after I discovered the Kyser I gave mine away - they'd be about my fourth choice now, I find them fiddly and can cause tuning issues.

Nothing beats the Kyser for simplicity, speed and accuracy, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't hate them, and I did use them for years, but after I discovered the Kyser I gave mine away - they'd be about my fourth choice now, I find them fiddly and can cause tuning issues.

Nothing beats the Kyser for simplicity, speed and accuracy, for me.
    How strange. I like the Shubb coz it causes the least tuning issues of any other capo I've tried.
    Sassafras said:

How strange. I like the Shubb coz it causes the least tuning issues of any other capo I've tried.
    I found that to hold the strings cleanly it needed to be a little further from the fret than I would like, which means it bends them down into the space under them and hence sharp. With the Kyser I can clamp it on right along the back edge of the fret crown, so it can't bend them down.

Capos are surprisingly personal things though, what works for one person doesn't always for others.

Interestingly I tried a Kyser knock-off, which superficially seemed very similar - albeit a bit crudely-made - and it was shit, it would not hold the strings tightly without one or two buzzing. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is that the firmness of the rubber pad is critical.

• So, I left my G7 capo at a solo showcase session last night. I doubt it'll have been handed in or be where I left it, so I'm probably buying a replacement today.

Primarily used on acoustic, but also the odd use on an electric. 

What's the capo of choice these days? 
    G7th for me. I've shared on here before how much I rate them. I've recently taken delivery of their Heritage version and it's amazing!
  • Paige. Plus you'll never, ever lose one.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I like the Panet Waves Cradle Capo on acoustic 

"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    edited September 2023
    I use G7ths live because they're the only ones I've found that stay very close to perfectly in tune up and down the neck.

However one day in the studio I decided to compare the sound of one against a Shubb lying around and the Shubb was clearly better. I've repeated that test a few times against various other capos and the Shubb has always sounded a bit fuller.

The Shubb 7.5" radius one works better on vintage fretboards than the G7th too.

Less practical live, though, unless it's always going on the same fret.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Hair scrunchy. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Sporky said:
    Hair scrunchy. 
    Presumably for hair metal!  =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This might be a bit strange to share, but I really enjoy attaching and taking off the Shubb C1. To me, it is such a well engineered piece of kit that fits the guitar neck reassuringly tightly with a positive clamping action, that I take great pleasure in using it.  I bought it in a sale over lockdown.

To be fair, this is only the second capo I have possessed.  For years I had the design with the elasticated band and a few holes, so now there might well be other capos that could offer me a similar experience to the Shubb.
  • Voxman said:
    Sporky said:
    Hair scrunchy. 
    Presumably for hair metal!  =)
    Go to your room.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've had a Dunlop, G7 and many Shubbs for a long time but all of them are ancient so I'm interested in this. 

How different is the Kyser to the Dunlop trigger one? Cos the Dunlop grabs the neck way too hard (or at least my one does - possibly 20 years old at this point and maybe they made them softer?)

And I do fancy an Elliot for the fancy acoustic... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    How are we pronouncing capo?
    Cap-o or the 'Murican Cape-o?
  • I’ve owned many and tried some expensive ones.

The King, and I cannot stress this enough, is the G7th Herotage. Very expensive but infallible.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I must have tried every capo going, including a metal rod and elastic band. My favourite is the Shubb. Easy to use, small profile, and light. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.

How different is the Kyser to the Dunlop trigger one? Cos the Dunlop grabs the neck way too hard (or at least my one does - possibly 20 years old at this point and maybe they made them softer?
    I think the Dunlop is tighter, but it’s a while since I tried one. I did find the upside-down grip a bit more awkward to use compared to the Kyser.

(Anything is more awkward to use compared to the Kyser :).)

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
    edited September 2023
    G7th
  • How about a pencil and a laccy band, yes it works, that way you always have a pencil to hand, can store a bunch of laccy bands on your wrist, and if you lose it, you don't care as it costs less than peanuts to replace.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Sassafras said:
    How are we pronouncing capo?
    Cap-o or the 'Murican Cape-o?
    <shudder>

“cape-o” and “sod-urr” are the 2 most grating pronunciations on guitar YouTube - I have no idea why but both really set my teeth on edge 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter