Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD Bargain High Gain Knockoff - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD Bargain High Gain Knockoff

GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
edited September 2023 in FX
I saw on Amazon there was an offer knocking 20 percent off the Joyo Chopper-Z, taking it to around £43. Which definitely seemed worth a punt.

I'm glad I did. It sounds fantastic. It's essentially a clone of the £300 Horizon Devices Apex Preamp pedal, which itself is a very close cousin of the £200 MXR 5150 Overdrive.

What does it sound like? Well a heck of a lot like my MXR 5150. It has the added bonus of being able to switch to a mode to go into a power amp, and an inbuilt cab sim. There's a fat boost which is useful to thicken the tone for solos, and a very good noise gate. It also has some rather nice LED lighting front and back (which can be turned off, set to follow pedal, or always off).

Only been messing with it for 30 minutes. But I'm very impressed, and not just due to the £43 price. It really does sound very close to the MXR 5150. I don't know how close to the Apex Preamp it sounds as I've never used one.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Cool , I’ve seen the Friedman BE one they do  , enjoy your OD 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter