Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Moroccan Floods Disaster - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Moroccan Floods Disaster

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Isn't it Libya?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Lybian floods.  Moroccan earthquake.  Same thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66803111

Truly horrendous

20,000+ missing, bodies washed out to sea, two dams burst, rescue services struggling to get to mountain villages. 

And officially it's still summer.

Hard to know if anyone is to blame here. I think two dams bursting points a finger at the government. It's not like countries don't know about freak weather and really should be questioning how to prepare for such conditions.

As always, improvements will likely be made afterwards. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    Jeez!!!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    My guys and I have had some involvement in the Moroccan relief effort I’m proud to say. Late night last night but suffice to say the RAF will be sending the usual. As for the job in hand, pretty grim but best of luck to all those involved. 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Shrews said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66803111

Truly horrendous

20,000+ missing, bodies washed out to sea, two dams burst, rescue services struggling to get to mountain villages. 

And officially it's still summer.

Hard to know if anyone is to blame here. I think two dams bursting points a finger at the government. It's not like countries don't know about freak weather and really should be questioning how to prepare for such conditions.

You missed the classic "Lessons will be learned from this terrible accident to ensure that it never happens again'. As rolled out by every Government, having previously concentrated entirely on themselves, party politics & corruption.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

Given the current state of Libya, I wouldn't assume that.

The cause was the increased severity of extreme weather events.  Even the best prepared of human organisations can only mitigate the impact of those events to a limited extent.  And Libya is currently far from being one of the "best prepared".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Deadman said:
    My guys and I have had some involvement in the Moroccan relief effort I’m proud to say. Late night last night but suffice to say the RAF will be sending the usual. As for the job in hand, pretty grim but best of luck to all those involved. 

Well done to the RAF!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Shrews said:

Government? They barely have a functioning one, let alone the ability to prepare for things like this.

The two dams bursting is a result of an unprecedented extreme weather event combined with lack of maintenance on the upper dam, I think - once the upper dam failed the lower one stood no chance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Cranky said:
    Lybian floods.  Moroccan earthquake.  Same thing.

Not sure it is.......I think the Libyan disaster will end up being considerably more serious
    Death Toll will be 10 times more than the Moroccan Earthquake.....if not a lot higher
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    400mm of rain in 24 hours. Average rainfall for September? 15mm. 

ICBM said:
    Shrews said:

Government? They barely have a functioning one, let alone the ability to prepare for things like this.

The two dams bursting is a result of an unprecedented extreme weather event combined with lack of maintenance on the upper dam, I think - once the upper dam failed the lower one stood no chance.
    Actually i think you'll find they have two barely functioning governments.  
    International aid is not arriving because they cant get permissions 
    Reading the eyewitness accounts, it seems like something out of a hollywood film