Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PSA - Watch Servicing / Repair - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PSA - Watch Servicing / Repair

What's Hot
My watch, and my dad's watch needed servicing.

I've got a 2018 Rolex Explorer II (216570). He has a 1968 Omega Seamaster Chronostop.

My watch had a run in with a security metal detector wand, when I was doing jury service. Ever since there has been an issue with the power reserve, but it still kept perfect time.

My dad's watch is just old. It's never been serviced, but still works perfectly.

Took them to Steven Hale (www.shwr.co.uk) in South Molton Street (W1K 5QE). They offer a postal service for anyone who can't visit in person. They are Rolex accredited and Omega approved.

Mine was back within 3 weeks. Fully serviced, and 1 part replaced. To fix the issue with the power reserve.

Once the work is done they offer a free case / crystal polish. I didn't have it done as all the scratches and marks are mine. I didn't like the idea of it just looking new again.

My dad's watch will take longer as it's old. They said up to 6 months for it to be returned. But he is having the case and crystal polished. The crystal on his is pretty tatty.

Cost of mine was a little over £600. I think my old man's is around the same price.

Very pleased with their service, and would happily recommend them.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    I will never own a watch like that for although I love them, I would never wear something that expensive so it would be a waste.  Just posting to say that this channel on the Tube is very interesting and relaxing if you like restorations and/or watches.

(23) Wristwatch Revival - YouTube
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0 said:
    I will never own a watch like that for although I love them, I would never wear something that expensive so it would be a waste.  Just posting to say that this channel on the Tube is very interesting and relaxing if you like restorations and/or watches.

(23) Wristwatch Revival - YouTube

I'm scared to damage them - I own a few what I would call good watches, so instead I wear a cheap nasty Casio G-Shock GST-B400BB 1AER, if the battery ever needs changing, or the watch fails in some way, it's not worth the cost of replacing the battery - and maintaining the 200m/20bar water proof rating, or repairing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This good to know. Rolex (and increasing others) are notorious for replacing old parts with new ones and polishing *everything* (even on vintage stuff). I can't imagine anything worse. 

@CavemanGrogg I can assure you the first time I dented my first proper watch it was heart-wrenching. I don't worry about them any more. It's freeing!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    edited September 2023
    Your Explorer looks fantastic.  The Rolex designs are so iconic but prices are crazy now.  

I've had a few nice watches over the years (IWC Pilot, Speedmaster professional, Jaeger-LeCoultre) but all sold now.  I kept losing them when drunk  
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    These days watches are almost pointless. With the invention of the smart phone etc they really should by now have been banished to history like cassette players and woolworths.

But the market continues to flourish, people continue to buy them, myself included. I just don’t get it. I have absolutely zero other jewellery, but I have indulged in watches. But i just don’t understand why. 

It’s not a market that is absolutely blasted with marketing spend either. We drink coffee because it’s rammed down our throats, you can’t get away from Nike and Adidas. But watches bomb along on their own free will. Yes there is marketing spend without doubt, but I doubt they would have continued without genuine desire from the consumer to carry on buying.

interesting market this, very resilient, hopefully it continues 

• Jo-to-poJo-to-po Frets: 120
    edited September 2023
    Lovely explorer. I love a white-face watch.
  • A classic in every sense.
  • I find white face watches wear larger on the wrist, I quite like a 6694 with an explorer style face. 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Thanks @WYNIR0 I'll have a look. I find stuff like that quite calming to watch.

@cavemangrogg like @stickyfiddle ;said, I also got quite pissed off the first time I dinged it (put a scratch on the bevel). But I bought it to wear, and don't really think about it anymore. It's a tool watch and designed to be relatively robust, so as long as no disasters happen (like forgetting to take your watch off when being checked by a security guard with a metal detector), it should be fine. 

@stickyfiddle I've heard some horror stories about Rolex's own servicing. They seem to be pretty uncompromising! My dad had to have the crystal refurbished. They said they can't replace it, but will try and polish it back past most of the scratches, but it was quite scratched. The case on his was actually in pretty good nick, so not sure he'll notice that much difference. 

@Fishboy7 cheers. I've always had a soft spot for the Explorer II. I wanted a watch with dual time, and fell in love with the newer version, once they returned to the orange 24 hour hand, per the original version. I looked at IWC, Omega and Jaeger LeCoultre when I was trying to decide what to buy. I really liked the JLC watches. 

@Rob1742 I know what you mean, but I think it's good to own a nice watch. Like you, I don't wear jewellery, unless you count cufflinks. Not even a wedding ring. I think watches will always interest people. For some from the engineering perspective, others looks, and for some I guess it's a status symbol.

Thanks @Jo-to-po @danishbacon .

@nero1701 I wasn't sure about the size when I was on the looking, but I really like it. I have always preferred the polar to the black face, although I like the floating hand effect you get with the black face version. I like the simplicity of the 6694 Oyster Date. Someone I work with has one. I think if I got another Rolex I'd look at a black face Milgauss. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Rob1742 said:
    These days watches are almost pointless. With the invention of the smart phone etc they really should by now have been banished to history like cassette players and woolworths.
    Don't wear a watch at home, but I hate having to pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time when I'm out. But admittedly half the world seems to walk around clutching a phone in their hand these days.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    The airport scanner thing reminds me actually - does anyone fly with an expensive watch?  

Last year I was travelling back from Istanbul (Sabiha Gokcen airport) when going through security I chucked all my stuff including watch in the tray, went through the scanner and when I picked up the tray on the other side the watch was missing.  I had my eyes off it for a few minutes so reckon someone else in the queue nabbed it.  

This was a not too expensive watch I'd bought specifically for travelling luckily, but definitely you need to be careful with a more valuable watch ! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited September 2023
    When I was in my mid 20s (I'm 51 now), having always wanted one, I saved and bought a Rolex (Sea-Dweller - before they changed/ruined how it looks). It cost £2,250 which was bonkers, but nothing like as bonkers as they are now. 

I've worn it every day since (except 3 servicings, the time when I went in to hospital for my heart op, and a brief experimentation with an Apple Watch 2) and never give a thought to whether it might get dinged or whether it or I am at risk from scallywags. It's just "my watch". 

I'm really glad I got it when I did - I'd never spend what they cost now. 

Nice Explorer! 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7 said:
    The airport scanner thing reminds me actually - does anyone fly with an expensive watch?  

Last year I was travelling back from Istanbul (Sabiha Gokcen airport) when going through security I chucked all my stuff including watch in the tray, went through the scanner and when I picked up the tray on the other side the watch was missing.  I had my eyes off it for a few minutes so reckon someone else in the queue nabbed it.  

This was a not too expensive watch I'd bought specifically for travelling luckily, but definitely you need to be careful with a more valuable watch ! 

In the bag, deep and not easy to get out, before I get into the queue. Never in the tray. 
    edited September 2023
    @barnstorm I can’t get used to not wearing a watch. When it was being serviced I kept on pulling my sleeve up and staring at a bare wrist. 

@Fishboy7 that’s really bad. I’ve recently been to Portugal and put it in the tray. Luckily I got it back. Although apart from when it was actually going through the machine, I watched it like a hawk. 

@TimmyO cheers. That’s a great price (although must have hurt at the time) for a Sea Dweller. Prices are crazy now. Rolex prices seem to go up almost annually. Once they discontinue a model, the prices really rocket. When I bought mine, it was between this and a GMT. I’m still glad I got it, as I love it, and don’t ever plan on selling it. But the GMT got superseded then I think it was discontinued, and the prices went mad. I’m the same with mine. Worn it everyday since I bought it. At first I was very conscious of it. Now nowhere near as much. 

@danishbacon i think I might try that when travelling. 

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited September 2023
    Thanks for the recommend. 

I’ve been looking for a decent repairer for an older Omega Seamaster - 70’s.  It’ needs some work but Omega’s own silly prices and possible year long wait to find they won’t even fix an older watch has put me off going official Omega.
  • Fishboy7 said:

I fly a lot and always fly with a watch - I rarely leave home at all without one.  But which watch depends heavily on where I'm going.

Western Europe or around the Middle East I'm happy with anything, though usually my Speedster or Tudor BB58 as they're less sentimental than the IWC and a little chunkier so more visible if anyone's out for theft.  Anywhere potentially sketchy like Egypt, Turkey, South Africa or India I'll take a Seiko or Hamilton just because there's no good reason to risk it.

Either way everything's insured and I've travelled enough to not look like an easy mark so I've never had any problems.

At any airport security I haven't been through before I'll put whatever watch I'm carrying in my bag or jacket pocket. I definitely don't leave it visible from the top of the tray if at all possible. TBH I do the same with my phone and wallet, partly because it speeds up the process as well.  
  • @Timmyo I'm crying in 3-year waiting lists and 10k RRPs... :(  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I fly with a moderately nice watch. It goes in a pocket of my coat or bag for the scanners.

I like mechanical watches because I still think it's incredible that an arrangement of springs and levers and gears can tell the time.

I am jolly tempted by either a Grand Seiko (spring drive, obvs) or a Habring² (jumping seconds) for my 50th. But they're into terrifying money. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    edited September 2023
    Rob1742 said:

You mean like a watch you keep in your pocket?
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    TimmyO said:
    When I was in my mid 20s (I'm 51 now), having always wanted one, I saved and bought a Rolex (Sea-Dweller - before they changed/ruined how it looks). It cost £2,250 which was bonkers, but nothing like as bonkers as they are now. 

I've worn it every day since (except 3 servicings, the time when I went in to hospital for my heart op, and a brief experimentation with an Apple Watch 2) and never give a thought to whether it might get dinged or whether it or I am at risk from scallywags. It's just "my watch". 

I'm really glad I got it when I did - I'd never spend what they cost now. 

Nice Explorer! 

Seadwellers are amazing watches. I also hate that they turned it into a big sub..

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023

I've actually never bought myself a ''good'' watch - expensive watch, all the ones I own where given to me as gifts, I got given a Tag by my parents because I got straight A's for my IGCSE exams, my parents bought me my first Rolex when I won a partial scholarship to attend the London Royal College of Music, they bought me a Breitling when I passed my A levels with straight A's and got my international baccalaureate - I did both systems.  Others where given to me by people that I did business with in Asia - expensive watches and even cars are the standard ''thank you for giving us your business'' gift in Asia until they get to know you better and your interests incidently trying to explain to your boss who owns a UK based company and works in the UK why one of his suppliers has gifted you a Rolls Royce is a very difficult and uncomfortable conversation to have with you boss especially when they've never worked outside of the UK and don't do anything outside the UK but source materials and supplies so have no understanding of another country's business culture and practices .

It's not that I don't think men should wear jewellery - I wear some myself, I just find it to be rude, firstly because it draws every ones attention to your watch and secondly because of reason 1, they notice how often you're checking the time and can therefore see how your feeling about being where you are and doing what you're doing. Nobody does that when you wear a Casio G-Shock - which there are many models that sell for £1000 and above and I believe the most expensive model of G-Shock is around £7k and it's neither a limited or special edition G-Shock.  People see you wearing a Casio and don't give it a second thought or any attention to it, the same can't be said about Rolex, Omega - nowadays anyway, and brands like Jaeger Lecoultre, Rolex, Breitling and several others.

Truth be told I'd happily wear a Swatch as an everyday and dress watch if they where tougher - didn't break so easily, I actually used to collect Swatches - accidentally I might add, and had hundreds of them as the person who started the brand is a family friend, and so was the distributor for the the part of the world we lived in, so as a family whenever a new model, variant or colour was released, we'd all be given them for free.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Bloody TSA, if they're no nicking your shoes, they're nicking your watches.

Incidentally as somebody who travels a hell of a lot, and has been to America quite a lot recently, I have always been asked to remove my shoes while going though the scanners and metal detectors at airports - shoes since that idiot shoe bomber wanker, but never once, even in America, have I been asked to remove my watch or any of the jewellery that I wear, empty coins and keys from my pockets,yes always and at every airport, but never watches or jewellery.  Seriously what could you hide in a watch that would bring down an airplane or help you hijack one - I'd honestly like to know?
  • I second the Steven Hale recommendation - I've taken a few watches to them in the past (vintage pieces) always great service, and reasonably priced compared to going to the boutique (I have a couple of VCs from the 40s-50s, the prices to get them serviced or repaired by VC themselves is eyewatering)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Seriously what could you hide in a watch that would bring down an airplane or help you hijack one - I'd honestly like to know?
    I’ve got a laser, a garrotte and circular saw in mine
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1572
    edited September 2023
    We flew to Fuerteventura from Birmingham last month and I wore my Tudor Black Bay Chrono the whole week. Never really thought about it through security and just put it in the tray both directions. Got it back both times but I might take more precautions next time. Off to Morocco in November and may not take it at all taking something else instead
    Thanks for the recommend. 

I’ve been looking for a decent repairer for an older Omega Seamaster - 70’s.  It’ needs some work but Omega’s own silly prices and possible year long wait to find they won’t even fix an older watch has put me off going official Omega.
    No worries @Stratavarious ;

My dad laughed when he heard how much it would cost through Omega themselves. 

Once he gets his watch back I’ll post some photos. 

I've actually never bought myself a ''good'' watch - expensive watch, all the ones I own where given to me as gifts, I got given a Tag by my parents because I got straight A's for my IGCSE exams, my parents bought me my first Rolex when I won a partial scholarship to attend the London Royal College of Music, they bought me a Breitling when I passed my A levels with straight A's and got my international baccalaureate - I did both systems.  Others where given to me by people that I did business with in Asia - expensive watches and even cars are the standard ''thank you for giving us your business'' gift in Asia until they get to know you better and your interests incidently trying to explain to your boss who owns a UK based company and works in the UK why one of his suppliers has gifted you a Rolls Royce is a very difficult and uncomfortable conversation to have with you boss especially when they've never worked outside of the UK and don't do anything outside the UK but source materials and supplies so have no understanding of another country's business culture and practices .

It's not that I don't think men should wear jewellery - I wear some myself, I just find it to be rude, firstly because it draws every ones attention to your watch and secondly because of reason 1, they notice how often you're checking the time and can therefore see how your feeling about being where you are and doing what you're doing. Nobody does that when you wear a Casio G-Shock - which there are many models that sell for £1000 and above and I believe the most expensive model of G-Shock is around £7k and it's neither a limited or special edition G-Shock.  People see you wearing a Casio and don't give it a second thought or any attention to it, the same can't be said about Rolex, Omega - nowadays anyway, and brands like Jaeger Lecoultre, Rolex, Breitling and several others.

Truth be told I'd happily wear a Swatch as an everyday and dress watch if they where tougher - didn't break so easily, I actually used to collect Swatches - accidentally I might add, and had hundreds of them as the person who started the brand is a family friend, and so was the distributor for the the part of the world we lived in, so as a family whenever a new model, variant or colour was released, we'd all be given them for free.
    Can’t be bad. I’d happily be gifted some expensive watches! 

• CHRISB50 said:

Can’t be bad. I’d happily be gifted some expensive watches! 

I actually had to take a Rolex back to Rolex because I had managed to cease up the movement through lack of use, from simply only taking it out of the box to look at and admire in front of the person/company who gave it to me, because I then put it back in it's case and then forgot about it in a drawer for 5/6 years.

It's always been in the back of my mind that I should sell all of my good watches that have no sentimental value, and where not bought to sell at a later date.  I'll never wear them, not just because I'm worried about damaging them, they're also not my style, even the ones made of stainless steel, they're all to showy for me, even the stainless steel submariner, something like the Bulgari aluminum watch, I'd wear, it doesn't scream look at me I'm a 4 figure watch.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited September 2023
    I always used to take my watch off and put it in the tray, because it’s a decent chunk of metal that will set off the scanners, right? However, recently I have noticed many people walking through the scanners with a watch clearly visible on their wrists - so I stopped taking it off. Not been asked to remove it since so I’ll keep doing this until I am asked. On the odd occasion I have been frisked they’ve never hinted that it’s the watch, but they are interested in checking belt buckles and hidden zips in outdoor/travelling trousers.

I am a watch geek, but a watch geek of slender means, but my watch is probably the most expensive thing on my person going through airports.