Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). See through 'speed knobs?' (removing paint) - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

See through 'speed knobs?' (removing paint)

What's Hot
SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding
Howdo all?

Was just wondering if anyone had ever tried removing the black paint (not too worried about the numbers atm) from the back/inside of, specifically in this case black Gibson speed knobs? 

Unfortunately I don't have any specific paint remover or any nail painting products. 

I've put one in some thinners which might soften it a bit to just scrape/brush it out...maybe.

They are old ones which have scratches in the pack and bits missing so look a bit tatty. 

I could just take my time and pick it out but it would probably get scratches that would be hard to remove, but a matt look might actually be desirable? 

Ta 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Got some lighter fluid?

Or alcohol based sanitizer? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    you can also buy clear unpainted knobs  if that is the look you are after
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Aye, easier to buy new ones - there’s plenty on ebay and aliexpress that are cheap enough to mess about with
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    As you say, you usually end up with scratches and it's very difficult trying to get out the last vestiges of the colour from the deepest recesses without scraping.  Most solvents that remove the coloured "paint" also eat into the hard plastic.

Somebody posted a thread maybe 3 weeks or a month ago, or at least that's when I saw it popping into the recent threads, about removing the colour from knobs and using pink glittery nail varnish or similar to modify them.  I can't see the thread in "Making & Modding" though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Thanks guys!

I wasn't wanting any new new one. I don't have a specific project or anything nice for them to go in anything in. 
    Maybe try different colours /textures. 

Just experimenting.
    For anyone interested, I left in some household chemicals and in the morning it's largely gone

Possibly another soak and a toothbrush and some kind of thin pocky type devise. That should do.
    It does have some nice black lines in a couple of cool ways. 

Fancied gold sparkly though 

EDIT!! - DO NOT USE FIRE!!

• SpoonMan said:
    Thanks guys!

I wasn't wanting any new new one. I don't have a specific project or anything nice for them to go in anything in. 

Just experimenting.
    For anyone interested, I left in some household chemicals and in the morning it's largely gone

Possibly another soak and a toothbrush and some kind of thin pocky type devise. That should do.

Sounds like an excellent plan and gold sparkly would look downright fabulous too.
    I made a thread recently about doing a very similar thing to some clear speed knobs so, should it be helpful in any way, here it is: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252823/speed-knobs-making-any-colour-a-possibility-purple-sparkle-content#latest
    Lots of good luck wishes are on their way over, oh, and have FUN too!
    :)
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    ^ that's the post I had tried to find again.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    SpoonMan said:
    Thanks guys!

Just experimenting.

Care to narrow it down a bit?  My household has access to a lot of chemicals  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonMan said:
    Thanks guys!

Just experimenting.

Care to narrow it down a bit?  My household has access to a lot of chemicals  ;)

Ah yeah, it was mainly a bathroom cleaner stuff.

Cif.

Seemed to soften it up nicely. Then used a wee stiff bristle brush and it came off no bother.

Possibly some undiluted washing up liquid would do it. 
    edited September 2023
    BillDL said:
    ^ that's the post I had tried to find again.

Yeah, those are the biz!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    SpoonMan said:
    SpoonMan said:
    Thanks guys!

Just experimenting.

Ah yeah, it was mainly a bathroom cleaner stuff.

Cif.

Seemed to soften it up nicely. Then used a wee stiff bristle brush and it came off no bother.

Possibly some undiluted washing up liquid would do it. 
    Ta  ;)
  • Good luck!