Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mac display question - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mac display question

What's Hot
Wasn't sure where to post this but this is probably where the most Mac knowledge hangs around.

I have a Macbook Pro M1 16". The display is fantastic and I want to find out if an older Macbook would have the same quality display. The plan is to get a refurb older generation where display quality is the primary performance requirement rather than the fastest CPU etc. My Mother is a botanical artist and uses copious quantities of reference photos for some projects alongside the canvas. We have confirmed that the display on my M1 16" is adequate for her requirements and on par with her desktop iMac.

Any input from the Mac gurus would be much appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Your display is what they call a retina display. So I think most macs in the last 5/6 years have had it. There were even Mac Airs that had it.

Looks like the 13 inch Mac air might be a good starting point for you, cheaper and more lightweight than your M1 but still has a good display.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Your MBP M1 16 has a Liquid Retina XDR display which is not the same as previous Retina displays, having higher contrast rates among other technical changes.
    You can look up more technical & comparison sites like here 
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/explainer/what-is-apple-xdr-display-4132421  this is Apple's detail https://support.apple.com/en-gb/102255
    Edit: I should say I'm not plugging Apple's latest marketed displays, just saying that if you can find the tech specs used, then you can probably find a third party product monitor that will display close to the way that your Mother wants, but from a lower specced Mac or iMac.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I stand corrected @Kittyfrisk I assumed they were the same thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ No worries, Apple usually have to have their marketing speak translated into purer technical details that can then be compared for purposes like this  ;)
  • I’ve got an M1 and a 2013 MBP.

Resolution is still great on the older one 
  • Thanks @Kittyfrisk ;